• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water in gas tank possible in WARM climate?

NeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Southern California specifically? I'm not even sure if the gas tank has experienced temps low enough to hit the dew point in the last six months - which is about how long it's been sitting without being run. I was wondering if I needed to run to the parts store to get methyl hydrate or whatever it is you're supposed to stick in there to 'absorb' any water. Am i just being paranoid?

thanks in advance!

sparky (my old name on this forum)

I've had mine set for almost 7 months, I filled the tank and just drove it. So if your cap seals tight you'll have no problem with it.Gas and go

ok thanks... maybe i'll just do that... i was just sort of curious what the source of water in gas tanks was at the same time... (presumed condensation cycles)

Around here they run alcohol in the gas so water isn't a problem.

It's a dry heat, right ? Mine sat for 3 years with no gas cap. After it was fixed, I drove it.

In So Cal, yes moisture is possible in your tank. You have that big thing called the Pacific Ocean that puts a lot of moisture into your air. Doubtful that you have any after 6 months though, unless you had the gas cap off in the rain. I'd be more worried that the fuel went bad.

I live in Cali also and have never had an issue. I have bought a few rigs that have been sitting for years and fired right up with what was in the tank. You can always drop a bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol in the tank (can find it and any drug store) if you want. Isopropyl alcohol is the only ingredient in HEAT which is the additive you can buy at the auto parts store for a lot more to remove moisture from your fuel system. I have ran a few bottles through my rig for smog reasons and never had any issues.

Back