• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone know if a '98 harness will plug in to a 00?

spinaldex

NAXJA Forum User
I'm at least considering the possibility of switching out from my '00 coil rail, PCM, etc. I'm wondering if a harness from a 98 can plug in to the column, allowing me a fairly painless swap to a distributor, etc.

there is a article on here thats gets rid of coil rail and uses a caravan coil or a viper coil and plug wires and the how to of doing it, maybe some one can chime in and give you a link

My buddy has the wiring harness, distributor and PCM from a 98 sitting in a donor vehicle he's parting out. He thinks the plug will just go right in to the column in which case the swap would work, but I thought it better to check first in case someone knows so we don't waste time.

Pretty sure that the dizzy won't fit in the later block, due to how it's made. And not sure how the system will work also, due to the dual upstream O2 sensors.
But, good luck. document everything and take pictures.

I just put a 98 harness in a 99. I didn't have to deal with coils, but the only difference I found was the oil pressure sending unit. The 98 is only 2 wires and the 99 (and I assume later) has 3 wires. The additional wire is voltage the earlier didn't get.

Pretty sure that the dizzy won't fit in the later block, due to how it's made. And not sure how the system will work also, due to the dual upstream O2 sensors.

What is different about the blocks?

I put in an older block (95) in a 2000. So I won't have an issue putting a distributor in. The only thing we're trying to figure out is if the wires on the plug that go in to the column for the engine bay are the same. I have all wiring diagrams up to 1998, but after that I can't find any at all so I can't compare to the 2000.

I was under the impression that the later blocks did not have the provision for a dizzy.

Any 4.0 will accept a distributor.

The late models use a cam sensor/oil pump drive instead of a distributor but the machined bore is still the same.

Exactly. the block swap isn't the issue. The big question is if the 98 and 00 engine harnesses are the same. It seems that no one has a wiring diagram in their manuals for the 00-01 so there's no way to know unless you just try it ...

Exactly. the block swap isn't the issue. The big question is if the 98 and 00 engine harnesses are the same. It seems that no one has a wiring diagram in their manuals for the 00-01 so there's no way to know unless you just try it ...

I have the wiring diagrams and it looks like everything should plug in except for the oil pressure sensor.

Does the 2000 donor have the Federal or California emissions?
If the Cali version, with three cats and four O2 sensors , it definitely will not work.
A Fed version has a good chance of working but may cause problems if your state has periodic smog inspections. The computer's serial number will not match the registration.
Odds are that no one present has tried this specific swap, so you can be the first.
Good luck and may all the smoke stay inside the wires.

I was afraid that this could be the first of it's kind. I suspected that the wiring was nearly the same. The fact that the oil pressure sensor isn't the same isn't a big deal since we will swap to the old style so that's fine.

My vehicle has 1 cat and 2 O2 sensors, so it must be Federal. Periodic smog inspections should be fine. Computers go out and I can just explain that I had to purchase a new computer from a junkyard. If it becomes a big issue, I can register it in a different county that doesn't have SMOG. I've done that in the past for a few vehicles and can do it again.

At this point, it sounds like we just need to dive in.

My only thought tonight was if the engine wiring goes to the fuse box or not. I think the fuse box is different between the years.

I was afraid that this could be the first of it's kind. I suspected that the wiring was nearly the same. The fact that the oil pressure sensor isn't the same isn't a big deal since we will swap to the old style so that's fine.

My vehicle has 1 cat and 2 O2 sensors, so it must be Federal. Periodic smog inspections should be fine. Computers go out and I can just explain that I had to purchase a new computer from a junkyard. If it becomes a big issue, I can register it in a different county that doesn't have SMOG. I've done that in the past for a few vehicles and can do it again.

At this point, it sounds like we just need to dive in.

My only thought tonight was if the engine wiring goes to the fuse box or not. I think the fuse box is different between the years.

Looking at the wiring if you swapped the engine harness for a 99 and computer it should be 100% plug and play. The engine harness connects by the distributor to the body harness with runs to the fuse box and into the cab.

Years ago someone on JU did the 2000 to earlier swap. Besides the usual he also mentioned changing the oil pressure sensor. From what I remember he just took the PCM, distributor and wiring from the donor and swapped it in.

My vehicle has 1 cat and 2 O2 sensors, so it must be Federal. Periodic smog inspections should be fine. Computers go out and I can just explain that I had to purchase a new computer from a junkyard. If it becomes a big issue, I can register it in a different county that doesn't have SMOG. I've done that in the past for a few vehicles and can do it again

I have iinstalled a few new or rebuilt computers. Either way, the replacement ECM s has been reprogrammed to include the VIN and actual mileage on the vehicle, to comply with Federal laws primarily pertaining to speedometer tampering.
The reprogramming is done by the rebuilder or by Mopar.
Technically, without reprogramming, replacing the computer is a Federal and possibly a state violation.

Here in California, during smog inspections, the computer must match the actual VIN and the mileage ( the mileage must be greater than the previous inspection). The vehicle is connected, through the OBDII port, to the state data base, so it is difficult or impossible to fake it.
You are lucky to have counties with no inspection requirements, if this becomes a problem.
Let us know how it works.

Technically, without reprogramming, replacing the computer is a Federal and possibly a state violation.
The dealer can reprogram for VIN and mileage.

I have iinstalled a few new or rebuilt computers. Either way, the replacement ECM s has been reprogrammed to include the VIN and actual mileage on the vehicle, to comply with Federal laws primarily pertaining to speedometer tampering.
The reprogramming is done by the rebuilder or by Mopar.

Here in California, during smog inspections, the computer must match the actual VIN and the mileage ( the mileage must be greater than the previous inspection). The vehicle is connected, through the OBDII port, to the state data base, so it is difficult or impossible to fake it.
You are lucky to have counties with no inspection requirements, if this becomes a problem.
Let us know how it works.

That's strange, I have a computer with a tune in it, a Vin from a completely different vehicle and the mileage that doesn't match my rig, I still passed CA smog without issue and my rig is a 99.

Back