• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical woes, oh noes!

NikkiCO

NAXJA Forum User
I know these have been covered extensively in other threads and forums, but I have yet to find a similar condition to mine and could use some sage advice. I don't have much cash to test different solutions so I'm a little wary of "do this, then do that" solutions. Here's the rundown:

1. About 6 weeks ago my battery meter drops to 0 while on a road trip. Autozone tests battery & alternator, everything checks out. I drive another 3 weeks without issue.

2. 3 weeks ago the battery meter starts dropping to 0 more often, about once a day, but the car drives and starts fine.

3. A week ago this happens multiple times in a day. Jeep starts and drives fine. I notice some light corrosion on the battery terminals.

4. 2 days ago battery meter falls to 0 as lights dim and systems shut down. I manage to jump it and make it another 2 blocks before it completely shuts down. 10 minutes later, it starts fine, and dies again soon after.

5. Towed to a local shop and they test the alternator & battery and they're fine. After a jump, both the mechanic and I drive the jeep for 15+ minutes and there are no issues.

My first guess is the alternator, as I've got 150k+ miles on this thing and I don't think it's ever been replaced. However, with so many odd voltage issues in these things, and not a lot of money to go trying different solutions, I'm hesitant to just throw money at it hoping for the best and was hoping the experts here could shed some light on the situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back