• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C air temp problem w/ associated(?) fuse blowing problem

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
Long story short it seems two gremlins hit my a/c / heat system at the same time, and I don't know if they're related or not.

First the air temp control knob on the dash seemed to intermittently stop working in that the vent air would stay locked on one temperature regardless of where the knob was. Can't remember if early on the air temp stayed stuck on hot or cold. It may have been stuck on cold all along, can't quite remember, but either way the air vent temp has been stuck on full cold for a couple months now and that hasn't varied.

Next, the under-hood 15A fuse started blowing that I've been told power the compressor clutch relay and elec. fan relay, (but not the compressor clutch or the elec. fan themselves, I believe). It was blowing once every day or two so I got a bulk pack of fuses and just kept replacing it. This be the fuse...

fuse_zpsir9rn2qb.jpg

After I found out what that fuse went to, admittedly using the shotgun approach I took a guess and replaced the compressor clutch relay. After replacing the relay I'm now seeing the fuse blow only every week or two, as opposed to every day or two like it was before.

So now I'm still faced with the temp control knob that doesn't seem to work. I'm leaning away from the idea that the cable's simply become disconnected because when I move the knob I can hear a thump inside the dash that I interpret to be the temp mix door moving. Also, when the a/c is on and I move the lever from full cold to full hot, with my hand at the vent I can feel a change in the air...it slows down just barely, as well as drops in temp only very slightly, so it's still a/c cold.

So, questions... Other than having a loose cable on the air mix door in the dash, what can cause an a/c system to continue to blow cold air when the temp control knob is in the hot position?

How would the fuse that keeps blowing be associated with this air temp problem, if at all?

And lastly, if there IS no other possible solution to the temp control problem other than a loose cable, what's the best way to get to this cable to at least examine it and potentially reattach it?

Back