• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

standing water in font passenger foot well-- where the heck is the water coming from?

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I was mounting the ECU for an EFI unit in the passenger foot well... pulled back the carpet about halfway, and there's about quarter inch of standing water ... carpet on top wasn't really wet, but soaked underneath.

there are no holes in the floorpan, any thoughts on where the water is coming from? is there a drain somewhere that got plugged? other than replacing the carpet and welding in new floor pans, is there anything I can do?

The truck is either garaged or covered when not in use... last time it was out in the weather was almost a month ago, when I went to rausche creek..

And this isn't a one time thing ... there's definitely some deep rust spots on the floor (no holes yet, and I did probe pretty aggressively.)

wind shield is usually a top suspect.

Also, check inside the engine compartment rear most section where there is/was some hard sealer along the seam. My XJ leaked there. It was very difficult to find until I opened the hood and pour some water there on that seam from a gallon bottle which ended up in the passenger foot well.

Condensation from the evaporator core drips into the ducting and is supposed to come out a drain tube in the firewall, but the tube gets clogged with dirt/mud/bugs and then the condensation overflows onto the passenger floorboard.

Crawl under the jeep, find a little tube on the passenger side of the floorpan with a pinched end, open it up, clean it out with pipe cleaners or something

thanks. until I find out where its coming from, I pulled the passenger seat, cut away any carpet that was damp, sanded the floorboards and put a coat of paint .... I have a feeling the leak isn't that bad, because the only parts of the floorboard that were really rusted were spots under whatever sponge like material they used for padding --- it soaked up the water and must have been moist for weeks after it got wet...

1zo8g88.jpg

Mine was coming from a rotted seal aroung the fan housing pax side engine bay firewall. Pulled the fan and seal. Lots of rtv reinstalled the seal and fan then smeared a nice fillet of rtv all around. Problem solved.

John

Back