• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motive Gear Pinion Bearing shot in less than 500 miles; did the shop mess up?

fangskate

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I took my 2000 xj in a couple months back and had my front and rear axles regeared to 4.56. I bought all motive gear parts (ring and pinion, bearing and install kit). I had this done professionally at a shop and in less than 500 miles (closer to 300 honestly) my rear diff is howling like crazy. I jacked her up and disconnected the driveshaft and turned the pinion bearing (where the driveshaft connects to the diff) and I can feel grinding and it is just completely unsmooth.

I am presuming the shop had an excessive preload on the pinion and it just beat the shit out of the bearing but I wanted to see if anyone else had ever had a similar experience. I just think that regardless of what bearing is put in it should last a HELL of a Longer than that if installed correctly.

The shop did not originally warranty the work because I provided the parts but I am trying to get a feel for how possible it is that this is simply a parts failure and not a install error.
Any tips, advice, confirmations, or exoeriences would be appreciated.

Thanks

Its almost guaranteed to be installer and not parts, but since you provided the parts, you're probably 100% on the hook for it.

What axle is it?

Most likely install, however I have seen bearings in proper setups go south quickly because the brand new bearing was bad. Too much preload, improper lubrication, bad bearing. There are a lot of reasons. Heck, we had a guy bring a Toyota back into the shop because his couple-hundred-mile-old r&p was howling - when we drained it we got about a quart of water out of it, before the oil came out. I would chalk that up to user error.

I agree with DiedelSJ. I've been doing gear installs for 11yrs and the shop I'm at is a Timken bearing distributor. I've seen a few Timken bearings fail too early also. My favorite is explaining the break in procedure with customers, then they proceed to destroy the gear in a few days.

Back