• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Small engine fire. Replacing whole exhaust system now.

Badmunky

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so my cousin has a 2000 Cherokee 4.0l 5-speed 4x4 no ABS.

And he had a small engine fire do to a power steering leak. :eek:

We are not sure how a big a job this is going to be, so need a little help from you guys.

We know the power steering hoses are done. And the reservoir for the pump as it melted. The ECM is trashed, and the engine wire harness. The air intake system is also melted.

We have been able to find every thing but the ECM and the engine harness so far.

We also found that the stock Y pipe for the 2 piece manifold is cracked and rusted, and the rest of the exhaust system is also rusted to hell.

So he wants to replace all of it.

He is thinking he wants to upgrade while we are in there. So header, Magnaflow cat, flowmaster cat back is the plan.

But he is not sure what header to use. And where to get a good mandrel bent Y pipe for it.

And we can not seam to find a good ECM for a 2000 without CA emissions, with a 5-speed with out ABS. And the wire harness for it.

So how hard is going to be to change the harness? And any one know where we can get the ECM and harness at?

Thanks for the help!

Well here is the Cardone part #79-1667V for a reman computer for a federal emission, manual transmission, 2000 XJ with a 4.0l, this unit comes pre flashed to your application. You can order it through autozone or o'reilly.

I don't believe there is a difference in ECU's based on ABS or non ABS vehicles. ABS has it's own control module.

Wow $330 is a little expensive for a computer!

We found a wire harness for a 2001 manual trans XJ with out ABS. But its for one with CA emissions. So I don't think it will work.
We also found one for a 99 without CA emissions, but that's not a coil pack harness, so I'm not sure that will work ether.

The only harness we can find for a 2000 XJ with out CA emissions was for an auto vehicle.
Can the one for an auto be made to work with a manual if we use the correct computer?

The auto XJ harness is also free! So we really want to use that one if we can.

We have the XJ just about ready to go back together at this point. Just need parts that will work.

I am a fan of the Clifford Performance stuff. They have been making 6cyl intake and exhaust stuff for decades. It is their specialty.

http://www.shop.cliffordperformance.net/Jeep-40-Headers-1987-up-57-2015.htm

32CE3833-0F33-4FDF-94C8-F46DC6B88CCD.jpg

Wow $330 is a little expensive for a computer!

We found a wire harness for a 2001 manual trans XJ with out ABS. But its for one with CA emissions. So I don't think it will work.
We also found one for a 99 without CA emissions, but that's not a coil pack harness, so I'm not sure that will work ether.

The only harness we can find for a 2000 XJ with out CA emissions was for an auto vehicle.
Can the one for an auto be made to work with a manual if we use the correct computer?

The auto XJ harness is also free! So we really want to use that one if we can.

We have the XJ just about ready to go back together at this point. Just need parts that will work.

The auto harness will work, you just need to jumper the wires for the NSS and wire in the connector for the reverse lights. If you can find an 00/01 computer you can have a reflashed to work with your jeep.

Back