• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Transfer Case - Replace Stock or Upgrade

GreatOdin'sRaven

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

My first post, but I've been lurking about, reading your posts for a few years here and there like a creepy neighbor.

I have a 95 XJ with stock NP231 Transfer case that has gone bad (horrible noise when front drive shaft is rotated)

My question is: Should I replace the Transfer case with another stock NP231 found in a Junk Yard?
-OR-
Upgrade with something new?

What would the reasoning be behind your answer (what are the pro's and cons).

Possible Useful info: It's got a 2 inch lift, rarely is off pavement.

Any opinion is welcomed and appreciated, thanks!

-SL

Possible Useful info: It's got a 2 inch lift, rarely is off pavement.

Then you really don't need anything more than a stock one.

Are you sure it is the transfer case? And not bad joints on the driveshaft? Or front pinion bearing?

Are you sure it is the transfer case? And not bad joints on the driveshaft? Or front pinion bearing?

I am not sure. I guess I can do some troubleshooting and remove the front drive shaft and drive it around. If it still makes that noise I would guess it's still coming from the Xfer case.

I can only hear it at low speeds and the sound accelerates as I speed up.

"I am not sure. I guess I can do some troubleshooting and remove the front drive shaft and drive it around. If it still makes that noise I would guess it's still coming from the Xfer case."

Not True! If you remove the front drive shaft and it still makes noise when in 2-wheel drive, it's in the front axle somewhere. Front output on transfer case doesn't turn when in 2WD with front driveshaft disconnected.

Okay, got underneath it and rotated the front drive shaft and inside the transfer case is a loud clunk. Doesn't make the same sound when I rotate the rear drive shaft. Looks like the NP231 is gonna get replaced. Now I just need to find a write up for that.

Thanks for the input guys!

rebuild it or grab a junkyard case.

what does the fluid look like? is the shift linkage adjusted right?

Back