• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

remanned aw4's?

bluejeepkid

NAXJA Forum User
im sure this has been covered before, but anyone know a decent place where I can order a remanned transmission? or even a used but "good" one? im feeling like im gonna need one here in the next few months.

thanks!

Why would you buy a transmission if you have not yet properly diagnosed your unmentioned symptoms ?

My AW4 has been through a lot...still the most reliable part of my Jeep.

I was looking at "other" trucks and they all seem to say something like "tranny rebuilt at 100K". Especially Dodge trucks. I'd put my AW4 up against any other automatic transmission as far as reliability and service length. I think a rebuilt one might not be as dependable.

I have to agree with Tim...?!!

My AW4 has been through a lot...still the most reliable part of my Jeep.

I was looking at "other" trucks and they all seem to say something like "tranny rebuilt at 100K". Especially Dodge trucks. I'd put my AW4 up against any other automatic transmission as far as reliability and service length. I think a rebuilt one might not be as dependable.

I have to agree with Tim...?!!

Mine is fairly low mileage - <150K, but I have seen higher mileage ones with ZERO maintenance still running when the Jeep is scrapped. Friend of mine took his over 300K. He got it at 250k and the transmission fluid was black and about the consistency of engine oil. Did a few drain and flushes and it worked fine.

I have a 2000. The transmission already outlived the low pinon 30 (115K) and it sounds like it's going to outlive the engines ... or the piston skirts at least.

Well thanks for answering my question. I haven't mentioned my trans issues because I'm not looking for those answers. I'm looking for an answer to the question I asked. Thanks.

Bluejeepkid, IF your transmission is not giving problems, why look to replace it?
As for your question you can probably find a decent (low miles) one at your local jy for not much more that $200 (?). Then you could get the rebuild kit from (pick your parts store) and rebuild it yourself.... Or ask your local (mom n pop) garages if they do them & how much they'd charge for it.
(Yes I know not everyone is mechanically inclined , but I don't trust big name garages... And barely any other garage. )

I've been hearing good things about rock autos major assemblies such as engines. They may have a good option in there. Shipping might kill you though

The local junkyard is full of useable used Cherokee parts. If you are sure you know what you need, give them a call.

The local junkyard is full of useable used Cherokee parts. If you are sure you know what you need, give them a call.

Find a nice used one with a warranty at the junkyard. It's cheap and will more than likely work. And you can probably rebuild your original while it's out as a backup/beef up too.

Or go flat out and get a rebuild one from Smart Parts. I have heard and seen excellent work from them. And the two instances were bolt in, fill up, and drive; no issues since.

Junkyard but first make sure its a total mechanical failure and not wiring, solenoid, etc.

Back