• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleaning a 2000 Jeep 4.0L engine

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
What method and what items do you use to clean the oil, grease and grime off of your engines. I've done a lot of older engines with carbs and distributors, but none of the newer engines with fuel injection and all of the accompanying sensors. I just don;t want to mess anything up, but I need to track down an oil leak (mild one).
Thanks,
Bill

Ive had pretty good luck at the self serve coin op car washes. The one near me has a degreaser setting, seems to work fairly well. Just gotta know what areas to avoid hitting directly.

I've been fairly aggressive a few times, crossed my fingers and it still fired up.

I used greased lightening on an old gmc years ago, with a garden hose. But with the xj, like you just worried about all the (silly) electronics under the hood with the injection.

Keep the spray away from the throttle body.
The various switches and sensor, especially the TPS, can be damaged or destroyed, if water is forced into them.
Pull the air supply tube and them put a heavy plastic bag over the throttle body.

Simple green and a garden hose works pretty well

This. I use simple green, let it sit for a bit, then hose off lightly with the garden hose. I usually avoid the computer and try not to spray sensors directly. It has been working so far. The only time I've seen people have issues with any vehicle after washing the engine bay was when they used a pressure washer.

Back