• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 4.0l Pressure Washing Engine

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking of spraying my engine with a degreaser and then washing it off with a high pressure washer. Want it clean to track down a mild oil leak. Is it okay to use a pressure washer on the engine or if not what would you suggest.
Thanks,
Bill

I've pressure washed every vehicle I've purchased in the past 20yrs (engine bay included)--

The best advice I have is to spray the degreaser, run the engine until it reaches operating temperature, and hose/pressure wash it off. After the "bath" you will want too keep it running for a while to help the water evaporate.

Unless you go nuts and blast the electricals, you should have a fairly clean starting point and the water should evaporate before anything is damaged.

Things to avoid with the pressure washer:

coil
plug wires/ plugs
alternator
air intake/ filter
throttle body/ TPS
P.S. cap on the pump (it's vented)
any electrical connectors (at the connection) that plug together in the
engine bay.

I've pressure washed engine bays myself before, but first time I pressure washed my XJ's engine bay, I toasted the CPS. Walking a couple miles home from the car wash was NOT fun. That being said, I'm a stickler when it comes to covering things like the distributor cap, alternator, etc with plastic grocery bags. Still cooked the stupid CPS. >: (

I use simple green and keep the motor running and was a couple times a year and spray with a garden hose not a fan of hi pressure unless it's gnarly greasy. My oil leak is from the head this winter I'll try retorqing the head bolts it's not very wheepy now.

IMO, take it easy w/ that. If its leaking oil, it's probably coming from the valve cover gasket.
I only wash the tops of the inners(uni-body wheel well), firewall and such.
A rag and some elbow grease works good on the engine for me.

Washed mine (2000 XJ) with purple power and a garden hose, clean as a whistle ... No real issues. Just avoided the TB.

Back