• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension/Shock Mount Questions

Dean L

NAXJA Forum User
Starting a new thread here hoping I can find some answers to this new XJ project I got myself into.

New to the XJ community, I recently purchased a 88, 4.0L XJ that was someones project jeep. The jeep had previously been lifted, and the prev owners had started some of the work and just gave up. I had to finish mounting up the new Durango steering box and had to finish wiring in the fan override switch (they had the e-fan completely disconnected), Ive found a few other oddities I need to work out, but one item Im working on is getting the suspension dialed in.

For starters: I need the front shock upper mount bushing and retaining washer. I believe it is 9/16" O.D. on the rod for the shocks. Ive been searching and though I found a set Rancho makes (RS981) but these are too small in diameter. If anyone has an idea of which bushings would work for these Id appreciate it. Ive been searching around and have an email into Summit but have not heard back.

My Second path: I took it for a quick test drive after getting the steering box bolted in. The front shocks are still not bolted in properly but I wanted to see if the tranny shifted fine. There is a significant wobble, Im hoping it was just because the shocks are not bolted in properly. However, Im also thinking it would not be a bad idea to replace the front bushings for the upper and lower control arms and steering. Does anyone know of a kit that would be a good match for replacing the front bushings? I do not know the brand of the lift that was installed.

Thanks, Im sure I will have more questions as I learn about XJ's and the project Ive gotten into.

Sometimes you gotta put shoes on before you work on your golf swing, it very well could be the lack of shocks causing the wobble, but who knows until everything's bolted up.

Back