• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

closed to open coolant system temp sensor

jdjohnson

NAXJA Forum User
As the title states I am in the process of converting my RENIX closed cooling system to a 91 and newer style open. I have everything I need except for a fan controller. I did get the HESCO ported 91 and newer style thermostat housing with the 3/8 NPT hole for a fan controller sensor. What I cannot figure out for the life of me is what sensor temp wise I should go with. I have read anywhere from 180-210 on. 180 is too cold for sure. Any thoughts or ideas on this? Im about to say screw it, find a 3/8 NPT plug, and just hard wire the fan off of a switch.

I converted my 90 a long time ago and wired in a switch to operate the relay that the A/C uses to turn the fan on so I can control it manually as well as let the A/C do it as well. I figured typically the jeep will only be getting hot when the A/C will be on anyways so it wouldn't matter. I have only had one instance since then climbing a long steep road when it got hot that I had to turn the fan on. I say screw it and throw it in there with a plug.

Um, how about an HO sender unit and matching pigtail. And wire into your factory wiring? Maybe also add an override switch.

Did your new radiator not come with the hole for it? I went to open and did not have to change the temp sensor for the fan

When I did this on my '88 many years ago, I just mounted the cap in the upper rad hose and didn't change the radiator, so I didn't need to change any sensors.

mor-63730_ml.jpg

IMHO this is the easy way to do the swap. Install one of these and use the later model heater control valve. No mods to any of the fan control stuff.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

After lots of lurking through old forums and finding lots of factory chevy sensors that would work but are unavailable I decided to make things easy and just order an adjustable fan controller with a screw in style sensor. Its a lot simpler then playing games with building harnesses and looking for sensors that don't exhist. lol. I can set it right after 210 degrees so that it is not always running which is exactly what I wanted in the first place. I will also be wiring in an over ride switch so that its there if I want to use it.

I purchased an aluminum radiator from shaepard performance for my 87. 3 row welded alumnuim with a cap and our temp sensor bung welded in at the same exact spot. I purchased the radiator for the same price as a parts store replacement. I have installed a hand full of these in many jeeps and they are good units.

Back