• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bypassed Heater Core..Runs Cooler?

Rusty98xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

Been chasing overheating issues lately, ended up replacing all cooling components except radiator. Jeep finally runs at 210* with no issues.

Last week I noticed smoke coming out of vents in cabin...obviously heater core leak. So I looped the hoses under the hood to bypass the core short term.

The jeep now runs much cooler? Almost an entire mark on the gauge cooler. Instead of running at 210* its more like 195*.

Does this mean the heater core was clogged? Or merely a result of not having to pump antifreeze through all those lines constantly?

Thanks all

Was it leaking(heater core) before you noticed the smoke? If it was leaking just a little the system wouldn't pressurize right. I hear a bad radiator cap will make these things run hot or hotter than they should.

HTH

It was probably a combination of the core being slightly clogged and not building pressure.

Back