• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough day of wheeling..

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Spent the day today at rauscge creek ... Had a fantastic time,the guides up there are awesome. After running all day, I air up, out of 4whl lo, head out on the pavement.

Imheqr a strange noise coming from the rear driver side wheel,pull over to inspect, and as I stop... The wheel falls off. All lug nuts gone. And they did enough damage to the bolts that I could only get two on (from the spare).

Seriously, can't make this stuff up. One nice towing bill later, and I'm sitting on a train heading back home.

Anyway, back to the rebuild. I may very well use this as an excuse to replace my d35 with a 44

Damn buddy, I was just about to ask you how it went. Should have called me. I have a couple extra axles and I'd have been happy to give you one.

Axle shafts

I appreciate it.. It was pouring, and I was stuck on one f this blind curves out of the park. Between hghlifting the rain to get the wheel back on and dodging oncoming traffic, I completely forgot your offer...

Wasnt too bad. I have AAA, bill totow back to new York was $250.

Thanks again bro...if I had remembered I would have called.

No worries man, it sucks that you had the added expense though. Save my number for future reference. Seriously, it's not a problem.

I didn't do it, last one to look at those wheels was whoever put the tires on at my dad's shop.

I'd tell your dad that your wheel came off, see what *he* says. Unless the outer axle bearing was shaking like an absolute bastard, there is no way a lug nut should come off.

I had issues with that when I had the 10 hole aluminum wheels on my '91.

If I didn't retorque the lugnuts after about 10-20 miles, all the lugnuts would eventually work loose and fall off.

Steel or aluminum wheel?

you know, I know why you're asking, but I have to admit, I really don't know. I assume the stock rim is steel, but confess I've never bothered to check.

Google 88 Cherokee wheel and find a picture of what yours looks like. Then post a link to the pic.

Or if you know how to post a picture directly on here take one and post it.

Someone didnt tighten them properly. That doesnt just happen

Google 88 Cherokee wheel and find a picture of what yours looks like. Then post a link to the pic.

Or if you know how to post a picture directly on here take one and post it.

I will when I get the truck back from the shop.

Someone didnt tighten them properly. That doesnt just happen

If they are the original lugs from '88 maybe they are ragged? I think the torque specs for stock lugs are like 75lbs IIRC. I would be surprised to see the average tire jockey in a shop follow that spec when they can zip them on real good with a impact.

I had a wheel come loose on my 92, 5 spoke aluminums. Thank god I was only going 30 mph and none of the nuts fell off. It did a pretty good number on the wheel though. You could see where the threads of the lugs were beating up the aluminum. The threads on the lug where unscathed.

It makes me think that he has steel wheels to fubar his lugs up that bad for a tow truck.

Back