• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25 27 to 29 spline...

thesteveyo

NAXJA Forum User
When swapping to 27 to 29 spline axle shafts, is it necessary to also change outer axle seals and bearings, or is it only necessary to change the carrier? All I've seen on this subject has been "OMG WHY WUD U DO THAT?1" or "just swap a full 29 spline axle lolol". But since I already have an 8.25 axle, and I'm changing gears and putting in a locker anyway, I would like to keep this process as simple as possible.

The axle shaft bearings and seals are the same.

Axle shafts and carrier are all that need to change.

Not to get all literal.. but just so he doesn't go order a "29spline open carrier" the carriers are the same. If you're ordering a lunchbox just order the 29 spline version you won't need a new carrier as there isn't a carrier break for the 8.25

I thought the carrier weren't the same? I though I saw that the 27 version the carrier openings for the shafts was a bit smaller

That's correct - but if he's putting in a selectable locker its a mute point. If its a lunchbox, he'll need a 29 spline open carrier...

I should edit to say more generically that you need a 29 spline carrier, whether its a Truetrac, Detroit, ARB, OX, Trac-Lok, or open to be used in conjunction with a lunchbox...

(For my own needs or wants I look to selectable.)

Good info. I'm not planning to swap open carriers just for two extra splines. I'll wait until I have the money for a full locker. As far as I know, I want a Detroit in the back.

Good info. I'm not planning to swap open carriers just for two extra splines. I'll wait until I have the money for a full locker. As far as I know, I want a Detroit in the back.

Detroit is good, just get the 29 spline version when you decide to do it and just go to the yj and grab a pair of late model axles shafts from a 8.25

Was 97 the first year all were 29 spline, or was 97 still the split year?

96 was the split year that could have 27 or 29 splines. 97 was the first year of 29 only.
So, consider 97-01 XJ non-ABS for a 29 spline C8.25

Back