• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 hubs

Jbh97009

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a ford hp 44 front, but I don't know anything about hubs....:dunce:

My question is in regards to strength I guess....

I'm putting rcv's in this axle, and I'm wondering what the best option is for the hubs?

Option 1: use the warn hubs with rcv's 30 spline hub gear

Option 2: Yukon hardcore 30 spline hubs

Option 3: drive flanges

This is essentially a trail only rig, trailered. Maybe the occasional 'joy ride'

I just don't want to be breaking things all the time, so wondering what would be the best route to take.

Any input/opinions welcome!

If it matters, tires are 36" bias iroks

If you want selectable, yukon blows away warn . So much stronger

But if you dont need selectable, run flanges

I'm going to spend about the same amount of money either way it looks like.

I don't know if I need selectable, or maybe a better way th phrase that would be I don't know if I want selectable....

I think I'm kinda leaning towards the flanges since I have an ARB up front.

Besides road driving, are there really any other benefits to selectable?

That's kinda what I was thinking.... With the arb it would be just like a stock Dana 30.

I think I'll likely just go the drive flange route and keep it simple.

Thanks guys!

i have the RCV slugs. I would highly recommend them! they are very strong and if you ever need to unlock them you can just pull the cap and pull the slug out and re install the cap and go.

That's what I've been hearing. Good to know!
Sounds like the route I'll be going. Just gonna have to sell a kidney or something to buy the shafts and slugs!

You will not break a Yukon hardcore hub...

Why would you run a flange only to plan on "just pull the cap and pull the slug out and re install the cap and go"

When all you need to do is tune a knob?

Its your money, and your choice of course. But I have never seen a hardcore hub break and I know of 3 stock class ultra4 cars with them, and 2 unlimited 4400 cars that ran them for a year. As well as a 4400 car that broke a CTM ujoint, swapped it out for a Superjoint and new stub, and then had to put on a YHC hub on one side due to loosing a snap ring in the dirt for their slug, while changing it all out at pit, KOH 2014... Luck for them a Yukon sponsored rig was next pit over when they came in and gave them everything to get em back in to the race.

I could care less about locking and unlocking, personally. So I wouldn't be pulling flanges, I think they were just pointing out that you could. Though, again, that's why I asked. This is new territory for me.

My #1 concern is strength. I hate hate hate wrenching on the trail. At least my own rig.
I know warn hubs pop, so I want to avoid that. While they may be 'simple' to swap, it's still time consuming, costs money, and for me that kinda stuff will always happen at the worst possible time and place.

So that leaves me with either Yukon hardcore hubs, or drive flanges. I don't know anyone personally with them in a 44 so again I have no idea on how they hold up, but I know you have plenty of experience there. So you telling me that makes me feel better about the yhc.
As I recall the yhc are close to the same price as flanges so cost isn't a big deal in that regard....

That's why I posted this, for input and opinions, and I appreciate you taking the time to comment!

Quick question about the rigs (and breakage) your referring to, were those 44's or 60's?

Go with the yukon hardcore hubs. Youll appreciate them.

I could care less about locking and unlocking, personally. So I wouldn't be pulling flanges, I think they were just pointing out that you could. Though, again, that's why I asked. This is new territory for me.

My #1 concern is strength. I hate hate hate wrenching on the trail. At least my own rig.
I know warn hubs pop, so I want to avoid that. While they may be 'simple' to swap, it's still time consuming, costs money, and for me that kinda stuff will always happen at the worst possible time and place.

So that leaves me with either Yukon hardcore hubs, or drive flanges. I don't know anyone personally with them in a 44 so again I have no idea on how they hold up, but I know you have plenty of experience there. So you telling me that makes me feel better about the yhc.
As I recall the yhc are close to the same price as flanges so cost isn't a big deal in that regard....

That's why I posted this, for input and opinions, and I appreciate you taking the time to comment!

Quick question about the rigs (and breakage) your referring to, were those 44's or 60's?

3 D44 (plus my self)
2 D60
Broken 4400 car was a D60

Is that what they run on the NAXJA car?

Is that what they run on the NAXJA car?

I dont know. If you were asking me. But I think they run typ WJ unit bearing outers though. so no selectable lock outs.

But I did run them at 2 BITD jeep speed races. A bit different then crawling though. I did typically run 4wd though and at speed, landing can be quit harsh...

I run a D44 outer assembly that uses GM outer stubs that I get in a 30 spline and run 30 spline outers/lock outs.

I couldn't remember, for some reason I thought they were running hubs, but now that you mention it I remember the wj outers.

That's what I've got is Chevy outers, narrowed to waggy width. So I'm ordering waggy rcv's, and I already know they are gonna be a bitch to install. Just want stronger hubs too

Your definitely making me feel better about the yhc

We will see. I just gotta get this thing rolling again so I can get it out of the garage!

Fwiw I run warn premium hubs on my hp44 with a Detroit and chromo's, if and when they brake it will be Yukon hardcore hubs, if it was a strictly wheeling rig it would get flanges. But my jeep is setup so I can dd if I had to.

I run warns. I have popped 4 but they keep sending them to me. This last set lasted about a year so far. But I haven't wheeled much this year. I am trying to make 3 or four big ones.

Back