• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Relays and heat ?

Brent T

NAXJA Forum User
So awhile back I installed a couple of LED light bars. They came with a harness / relay which I used all except for the switches because I wanted to use the Carling style instead of just a toggle. I installed the relays underhood, which I assumed is pretty common. Awhile back I turned the lights on and neither would light up. Cycled the switches a couple times and they came on. Next day at home, I tried the lights again in the garage several times and had no issue (engine cold). Yesterday I was out test driving the jeep after replacing the cooling system. Got home and decided to flip on the LED's. They would not work again. Left the switches on and was able to pop the hood and tap on the relays and could get the lights to flicker or sometimes get them to stay on. This morning (engine cold again), I tried the lights and they work just fine. Seems the relays are functioning when cold, but get overheated while the Jeep is running and won't trigger. Is this common? I Googled for quite awhile last night but didn't find much. I guess I can rewire everything and move the relays into the cab, just surprised I hadn't heard of this before if it was a common issue.

most of the cheap chinese harnesses use the honda style relay.

Exactly. And as mentioned, pull them from junkyard vehicles.
My Chinese relays always let me know when fall is here, as they need to be coerced to start whenever it drops to 40 degrees or less.

Back