• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stretching the rear

clayton3854

NAXJA Forum User
so after swapping to waggy 44s and buying 37s and i need some extra room in the front wheel well so im looking to stretch the rear 2-3" already have shock hoops and shackle relocation brackets so adjusting those aspects of the stretch will be no issue, i know i might need a new driveshaft no issue there, question is what leafs should i use? and whats the easiest way to get this done? on a month time frame for a trip. Thanks!!

im thinking of just flipping my leafs to give me 2" but i have military wrap leafs, anyone know if this will cause an issue? iv heard itll only speed up my bushing being worn out which i can live with

Big time spring wrap. Are you going to build a traction bar?

The best way to do it is get a new main leaf with the lengths you want, then rebuild your pack around it. You want the heavy parts forward because the front of the pack acts like a control arm and takes all the stopping load, while the rear part just pushes the shackle around.

Starting point here http://littlekeylime.com/MrN/mrnimages/leaf_springs.png also check similar threads at the bottom of this page

Last edited:
The best way to do it is get a new main leaf with the lengths you want, then rebuild your pack around it. You want the heavy parts forward because the front of the pack acts like a control arm and takes all the stopping load, while the rear part just pushes the shackle around.

Starting point here http://littlekeylime.com/MrN/mrnimages/leaf_springs.png also check similar threads at the bottom of this page

So basically easiest most simple way is buying leafs at my desired length ideally ranger leafs to give me 2-3" then just build the leafs into a bastard pack using lift leafs and bolt in more or less? I know I could run into driveshaft issues but I'll deal with that then, just wanna make sure I'm not missing anything.

I am planning on adding some MJ leaves to my rig . Stretching the rear 2" over the current 1" stretch (currently using the front hole on RS perches, plan to shift to center hole) to help get the 40s out of the wheel well. From my measurements the last hole on the shackle boxes should work with some 5"-6" boomerangs.

For ~3" of length, yes, that is what I gathered from researching the subject.

awesome thanks for the info!!

I am planning on adding some MJ leaves to my rig . Stretching the rear 2" over the current 1" stretch (currently using the front hole on RS perches, plan to shift to center hole) to help get the 40s out of the wheel well. From my measurements the last hole on the shackle boxes should work with some 5"-6" boomerangs.

im gonna contact my buddy with an mj determine how much longer mj leafs are vs xj and see if thats my best bet! thanks!

The front mounts are less than desirable anyway, shake relocaters take care of the rear, why not just build a new, much stronger, front mount at the length desired? No more captured nut that wants to spin inside the.unibody as a bonus.

like I said in my earlier post, MJ leaves will stretch you 3", I am already stretched 1" in the rear, so I will only net 2" more if I use the center hole, negating the 1" stretch, which will still be 3" over stock though.

you will more than likely be on the last hole on the shackle relocators and need at least a 5.5"-6" long shackle to boot

The front mounts are less than desirable anyway, shake relocaters take care of the rear, why not just build a new, much stronger, front mount at the length desired? No more captured nut that wants to spin inside the.unibody as a bonus.

this would be my vote.

I went the custom leaf route, and at the end of the day, dealing with figuring out rates and adjusting things It would have been easier to just move the front mount some.

We did this using Deaver F150 leafs.

Pushed the axle back 2", used the factory front leaf perch and built new rear ones.

IMG_20140111_204409618_zpsre16gr91.jpg

IMG_20140112_141020653_zpsmescdp9b.jpg

IMG_20150314_094520941_HDR_zpsrfil63fy.jpg

At 3'' of stretch, depending on axle and amount of uptravel you might hit the gas tank if it has not already been relocated.

I have an 8.8 and 4" of stretch with leafs.

my dif cover rubs on my gas tank skid. and my axle stuffs pretty close to stock bump.

it will self clearance eventually. 3" will be OK.

Didn't I read something on here recently about dropping the newer model plastic tank and using a heat gun to form a raised spot in it?

Back