• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

did any XJ engines come with RTV on the manifolds

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
A friend of mine bought a used 2001, which eventually developed some problems. We think it is not the original engine. One of the clues is that the intake and exhaust manifolds were sealed to the head with ultra copper RTV. That's not surprising by itself, but AFAIK all the jeep engines came with plain gaskets. Need to know for sure

All the engines I have torn down have had gaskets. I've never seen RTV used on one from the factory.

Same here, I've never seen a manifold...especially a manifold...sealed with anything but a gasket and sometimes with copper spray...but not copper (or any other goop) out of a tube.

It doesn't seem like a totally horrible idea WITH a gasket, but stand alone, I'll keep the gasket.

GM had some engines that did not use a gasket. The surfaces were machined flat and then coated with high-temp graphite dry lube to seal any imperfections. A lot of the donut flanges are coated in graphite as well. Its not uncommon to use Ultra Copper RTV instead of the graphite, its a little lower temp but more forgiving. But I have never seen it from the factory.

No they did not come from the factory with RTV. But this does not mean its not the original engine, all it means is that someone went through the PITA process of replacing the intake/exhaust manifold gasket because of a leak and they thought that adding RTV with the gasket would ensure it never leaked again..

I had a buddy who did this not knowing what he was doing and the rtv ended up restricting several of the injector ports and I had to sit there and dig it out with tweezers for him after finding out that was the cause of why his motor was running like garbage.

No they did not come from the factory with RTV. But this does not mean its not the original engine, all it means is that someone went through the PITA process of replacing the intake/exhaust manifold gasket because of a leak and they thought that adding RTV with the gasket would ensure it never leaked again..

That's a possibility. There are a couple of other clues though, AC compressor bracket bolt cross-threaded, transmission missing a bolt on the bell housing, stuff like that.

Back