• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

waggy 44 axles, tires rubbing help!

clayton3854

NAXJA Forum User
hi all, so i swapped a set of waggy axles out of a mid 80s waggy and installed them in my XJ, currently running 10" rims with 4" back spacing on bald 33s, i just picked up a set of 37x12.5x17 goodyear mtrs and mounted them on the jegs D windows 8" wide with 4" back spacing and when i went to mount the rears the tires rub on my leaf springs, i know waggy axles have the same 60" width as stock axles so im confused as to why there any rubbing? also when my xj was still on stock axles i was running 37x13.5x15 mickey thompsons on 8" with rims with 4" back spacing and had zero rub. any ideas? thoughts? are wheel spacers my only options here?

Sounds to me like you either
A: didn't receive the correct wheels
Or
B: 4" isn't that much backspace, stock is like 5" or 5.25" iirc, so since you went to an 8" rim the tires likely bulged a little more and now rub the leafs

Looks like wheel spacers or different wheels is about all you can do...

Are you sure they were 4 inches of backpacking?
I got similar trailmaster D window wheels 8 in wide and 3.75 backspacing and I have 35x12.5R15 general grabber at2 and have like 2 inches of space between the leaf and tire. My new rear axle is a honda passport d44 but I have the waggy up front. I believe the passport axle is only an inch wider than stock.

This is from memory so I may be a bit off but I can't go measure again right now but I believe stock width is about 60 inches, and the 96-97 passport/Isuzu rear end is 3/4 inch wider. I also put in a waggy front axle and I think it was 1.5 inch wider than stock but I can't even tell a difference because I went from 31's to 35's when I swapped in the axles and the biggest difference comes from the 12.5 width of the tires.

something is not right. sounds like you have 6"+ of BS to hit the leaves man.

please post pics.

Back