• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modded XJ, Price check.

Drakeblade

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask about this. But since its modded, 4.6l stroker, etc. This seemed like it might be the right place to ask.

My fairly stock 96 zj is on its dying breathers. Engine is going to need replace, kinda drove it through a river. You know jeep things ;). However, I've been saving up and keeping an eye out for something to buy.

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/2326461?ad_cid=2#safe_buyer

I was looking for an off road vehicle for around 8k, however if I can just skip to the Just Empty Every Pocket part of Jeeps and have a well built jeep for a good price that seemed doable.

This looks really nice, but 14k seems a bit high both for my budget and what is done. So if anyone with more knowledge then me (pretty much everyone here probably) would like toss their 2 cents of advice in or sees anything distasteful about this guys mods. I would be greatly appreciated.

Looks nice, however its from May and considering he hasn't logged back on since 16th of June I imagine he has sold it.

That's a nice looking rig. It's set up almost exactly like mine with just a few exceptions. I have no doubt he has spent a ton getting it to the point it is now. Having said that, I agree it's priced pretty high. XJ's don't seem to sell for over $10k no matter how much work or $$ they have into them. I'd love to get $14k for mine, but I know it won't happen so I just keep on wheeling it. You mentioned spending $8k - keep looking and you can find a real nicely set-up XJ that's not beat up for that amount. Also keep in mind if you're financing, the bank does not add any value for the modifications. They'll loan based on book value, no more.

Last edited:
Lots of people think their jeep is worth WAYYYY more than it is.

I've seen bone stock wore out cherokees (in the mid 80's age range)......with asking prices in the 4k range.

True story. I do find it unfortunate that so many on here feel the need to belittle someone who's trying to sell their rig though. That blue rig in the link is really nice and he got a ton of negative comments about it. Why not just say nothing and move on if it's overpriced? There's a butt for every seat and someone with a wad of cash and the hots for a nice XJ might just buy it. I'd expect to see all the snide comments on Pirate maybe, but this is NAXJA. Supposedly we're all in the same "club".

True story. I do find it unfortunate that so many on here feel the need to belittle someone who's trying to sell their rig though. That blue rig in the link is really nice and he got a ton of negative comments about it. Why not just say nothing and move on if it's overpriced? There's a butt for every seat and someone with a wad of cash and the hots for a nice XJ might just buy it. I'd expect to see all the snide comments on Pirate maybe, but this is NAXJA. Supposedly we're all in the same "club".

No one here is going to a sellers thread and putting them down. Someone came here asking buying advice and they are getting it. I never see a reason to baby sellers or allow someone to get a bad deal just because someone lists something for sale at a ridicules price and people are afraid to call them out on it.

I'd think the "club" would not want to see someone entering in only to find out later they over paid and are then upset by their purchase. Vs, babying a seller who is selling their part of the "club" or looking to take advantage of an unknowing buyer. Not saying this is the case with any link posted but the asking prices are rather high as mentioned.

I understand the idea, and don't fault any sellers for trying to get the most out of their investments and I do appreciate the feedback I've goten. I was looking at CJ-7 a while back and saw a large amount of them quickly jump to the high teens/low twenties when they have had a lot of work done. Seems not to be the case with XJs.

And since nobody is screening "Duuude buy it because xyz reasons." I'll keep an eye out. Maybe after its been up for a while (only posted yesterday) the guy will lower his price.

I do feel like the Blue rig is nice, and thanks for sharing it with me. It does sucks that he got shot down so much. Aka like the guy saying he'd give 2k for it. I know if I saw a 2k sticker on that I would assume it was stolen. Anyway, to a buyer he left a lot of information out. Mileage, general area being the immediate ones i noticed. Also like i said I'd imagine he has sold it by now.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll definitely keep an eye in the for sale threads and see if anything catches my eye before my zj takes its last gulp of gas.

I like the build, nice and clean, and the atlas is a plus.
However at that price, it should have a lot more to offer! At the very least Dana 44's/60's, cage, and a 4 speed atlas to name a few. With those axles, and everything else is say $8-9k would be top of the market. People seem to forget that we never ever recoupe the money we put into the vehicles, or any vehicle.

Like stated above, we weren't bashing the guy with the blue one, just stating it's overpriced. I don't mind telling people, and don't mind people telling me either. They can take it however they want.

I've been watching the modded Xj market in particular for quite some time, so at least on the west coast I feel I have a decent idea of pricing, and what they are really selling for. I've bought And sold 3 heavily modded XJ's in the last couple years, and I'm always on the lookout for friends/relatives, and I've noticed $10k being absolute top of the market for just about anything besides a full blown legit jeep speed rig. Watched 3 or so late models just like you posted, but with nice hybrid cages, aftermarket seats, high end shocks/suspension, Dana 44/60's, atlas 2&4 speeds, hydro assist, beadlocks, 35-39.5" tires etc go in the $7.5-$9k range

Just my .02

Sell your Jeep in BC :) Everything here is double or triple market value. Guys ****in' follow me around on the street and flag me down to offer me upwards of $20k for my junk. A stock 98 in good condition goes for $5000. It's CRAZY town.

Buy anywhere else and build up. Sell in BC. It's probably a viable business model. I'm seriously considering buying some clean XJ's from the US or Alberta, throwing in a v8 and selling here for $15-$20k in my spare time.

Damn royal xj thanks for the post. Nice jeep and price

Sadly it probably won't happen, as MI is a bit of a drive from AZ, tho I'll look into it.

Back