• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

digital multi-gauge

jeepingben

NAXJA Forum User
For my new build, I decided not to keep the old system for monitoring the dual-batteries. The toggle switch and 7-segment display worked, but took up a lot of dash space.
DSCF7626_595.jpg

I was also hoping to have a transmission temperature gauge on the new Jeep so I decided to use an arduino and a small OLED display to let me watch both batteries at the same time as well as display transmission temperature.
DSCF0818_595.jpg

If I had decided to put this in the dash, I could have installed this as-is, but I was interested in putting it inside the driver's visor so I rebuilt the circuit on an arduino-pro-mini.
DSCF0819_595.jpg

The napa temperature sensor I used did not incude a datasheet so I needed to calibrate it myself by collecting several temperature/resistance points than finding a best-fit curve.
DSCF0821_595.jpg

Once it was working, the screen was attached to the visor and the circuit was crammed inside.
DSCF0904_595.jpg

DSCF0905_595.jpg

The fabric went back on the visor, then I cut an X over the screen and tucked in the material to expose it.
DSCF0908_595.jpg

DSCF0911_595.jpg

DSCF0915_595.jpg

When the battery voltages are equal (or close), the large transmission temp gauge displays. When they differ I can see all 3. When transmission temp goes above 200, the color scheme reverses to get my attention.

There isn't much to the circuit. Each input is a voltage divider on an analog pin and the screen uses SPI for communication. I used an external 5 volt regulator after letting the magic smoke out of one on an arduino pro-mini.

Back