• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

doubler mounting

jonzer12

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a strongbox-231 doubler in my XJ and am looking at fabing new crossmembers. What is the school of though on mounts. Do people have luck sticking with the just the stock tranny mount? add a 2nd off the doubler, or just run one of the doubler and ditch the tranny mount? I am concerned about the 2 mounts not flexing the same leading to breakage. Any proven setups?

I started with stock mounts on the engine and trany, they didn't hold up for long. Currently I have brown dog engine mounts and a poly trany mount and it seems to be holding up behind an aw4. I don't get to crazy with the skinny pedal so my results may not apply to your driving style.

I run a rear mount on mine in addition to the trans mount. But ive considered just going to a single rear mount

When the Black Box went into Gomer, we fabbed up a new belly pan. This included two trans mounts, one at approx. the normal location, and one between the doubler and the T-case. I was not comfortable with running a single one, especially since the T-case is a 241OR.

A couple of pics:

While the mounting to the belly pan appears close to each other, the actual distance between the mounts are close to 10" or so. The Black box is 7 1/2" long, and the mount between the Black Box and the T-case sits under the T-case.

The mounts used were a universal poly mounts. I have Brown dog motor mounts. Things seem to be holding up well, but I am not overly hard on the rig.

David Bricker / SYR

Riding off of David's post, if you made a single crossmember or belly skid that included both mounts. I don't see that being a issue of wear or breakage.

It's not a doubler, but I made a rear mount for my 170# StaK monster 3spd. It's just a regular bushing sleeve from Ruffstuff with some tabs on the rear of the case and second crossmember of my belly pan. Between it, the Brown Dog motor mounts and a new OEM tranny mount, my drivetrain doesn't move

or83tl.jpg

Back