• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

using solid pinion spacer in a 8.25

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
I was using a solid pinion spacer in my 8.25. I find that the thinner shims deform and may not be reusable. I thought it would be easier than crushing a sleeve because less torque is involved, particularly if the axle is out of the vehicle and you are only using jack stands to support it. But I also find that the press fit of the outer bearing on the 8.25 is so tight that you basically destroy the bearings each time you drive the pinion out to change the shims.

I am wondering if folks using a solid pinion spacer make setup bearings at least for the outer, etc.

Any suggestions?

I tried using an impact to crush the sleeve and it didn't do half bad a job, I did slightly overdo it, with a preload of 37.5 in lb, mostly because I didn't see the socket move at all. If I use this method again, I will likely just take more readings.

I made a setup bearing when I built my 8.25 for the outer pinion but I used it before installing the crush sleeve while I was checking pattern. Made things easier to disassemble. I just tightened the pinion until there was a decent amount of drag before checking pattern.

Back