• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much shorter is a atlas 2 speed than a p231 with a regular SYE ?

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
waiting on an atlas to come -- I am measuring my np231 around 17.5" from the back of the case where it bolts up to the tranny to the center line of the yoke with the u joint in it. thats about 4" longer than what AA shows the atlas around 13.5"

I've read the atlas is only 2.5" shorter than a np231 with SYE, and thats it 6" shorter . In my case, it seems like its 4" shorter ?

so it seems like a 4" longer driveshaft makes sense, but I could also go with a 2.5" shorter rear DS and hedge my bets, as for the front, I could probably be safe cutting off 3" I would hope.

anyone put a 2speed in and remember how much they took of their front DS and how much their added to their rear DS?

If I get next saturday ill be leaving sunday morning to wheel for 8 days so I need to have the DS ready...

I don't remember dimensions off the top of my head, but they should be on the website. I have a brochure/catalog/order form from AA that has all the measurements....

I can post it when I get home if you still need it

I have the dimensions already mine reads about 16.25" actually long with the SYE.

the atlas 2 speed is 13.8. they said I have to run the 1" spacer with it for spline engagement.

so my front shows 1.5" of spline, so the front shaft has 5.5" of slip showing total. the front needs nothing. its done.

the rear shows 1.75". it can show another 2" of slip and be fine. so its good. I just got lucky on this one....

I'm getting 16-1/2 from the front of my 231 to the centerline of the yoke. 13-1/2 to the end of the seal housing on my AA SYE. Atlas is 11" from bolting surface to end of rear seal housing. So about 2-1/2" shorter. They didn't say anything about a spacer for mine. Maybe it's different for an AX-15.

I have 3 atlas's. All 3 have different thickness spacers and input shafts. Its infuriating.

The last time I swapped, i took them apart and swapped inputs/spacers so that I didn't have to have 4 driveshafts adjusted. I really need to figure out which one is the one I use and order up parts to make the spare match.

I have 3 atlas's. All 3 have different thickness spacers and input shafts. Its infuriating.

The last time I swapped, i took them apart and swapped inputs/spacers so that I didn't have to have 4 driveshafts adjusted. I really need to figure out which one is the one I use and order up parts to make the spare match.

Interesting. I thought the 1" spacer they always refer to was 3/4". I was told my 4 speed came with one standard. I didn't bolt on anything else additional

Interesting. I thought the 1" spacer they always refer to was 3/4". I was told my 4 speed came with one standard. I didn't bolt on anything else additional

I think part of it has to do with fixed clocking rings vs adjustable clocking rings?

They only do the spacer with aw4. Manuals don't need it. Talked to AA today about that.

Last edited:
Back