• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can bolt 11 can cause a water leak if no sealant is put o

~Spanky~

Member 2264
NAXJA Member
I have searched and read for some time. I think the answer is clear, but I appeal to the NAXJA wrenchers for firm confirmation.
1. Head on all seems well, but.
2. I was told not to torque the bolts over 65# [Name withheld] (I do not like this)
3. Head blots can be re-torqued twice
4. Torque to 110# (I could get a new set and use the torque wrench)
5. Bolt 11 get 100# and is in a water jacket so it needs thread sealant or locker

That said, could this be where the mystery drop or two is on the front piston, which has all but gone now that the threads are locked.
Thank you in advance
Dave
:repair:

That is what my FSM says. 110# and 100#. Could it cause a leak. Apparently according to the FSM. :) I'd check your head bolts for proper torque! You will need a deep well 12 point socket for one of them IIRC. Get up with me and come by and we will check them if you would like.

I had head work done back in 2008. They did not put any sealer on the bolt. I never had any problems that I knew about because of it. I only found out in 2014 when the head cracked (it was a 0331) and I removed the old head. I would be more concerned about torque on the head bolts. There is a 3 or 4 stage torque on them if I remember correctly. Something like 45 ft lb, then make sure all are at 45, then 80, an then 100-110. 65 ft lb sounds fine for an old small block Chevy.

Back