• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 XJ floor pan rust Omix-ADA full pan replacement question

imajeepnut

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '88 XJ 2-door, a Southern Jeep all it's life. The rust is confined to the pans...and the worst is the driver's side. It has crept up and ruined the 4-bolt mount where the transfer case lever attaches...so it's pretty high. The drivers floor pan is pretty bad. The passenger's side is mostly surface rust. The area above the muffler is also rotted. Omix-ADA has a complete floorpan...surplus OEM stock...and it says for '95 - '96 models, but my parts dept at my local dealer shows the pans are the same from '84 thru '96. My thoughts were to get one of these pans and while the XJ is gutted, replace the whole pan, or at least cut out everything that needs replacing from the full replacement pan. Does anyone know if the floor pans are in fact the same from '84 thru '96? I know they added the additional braces after '96 and that affects the front seat mounts. This pan I'm looking at looks just like mine from what I can tell.

If y'all think I need to move this to the fabrication section let me know. I found more in the search here than I did over there.

Thanks for the help!

I did look at that pan, but my rust runs up to my transfer case shifter mount :( I was hoping to make an abstract cut in the full replacement pan and transfer that to my floor pan and weld it in. It would cost a little more to buy the full pan, but I could cut out the tricky angles for whatever area I needed. If it isn't too hard to get the full floor pan out, I guess I could just replace the whole thing. I'm hoping someone will know if the full floor pans are the same from '84 - '96.

Here is a link to the floor pan that I'm talking about. Omix-ADA sent me pics of the pans they have in stock, and they look just like this...so the picture correctly represents the pans they have. If I had a good pic like the one on their site, I would have posted it...I just posted this link because it shows the pan so well. Not intended to be an advertisement.

http://www.eadoffroad.com/omix-ada-s-55174807-jeep-xj-95-96-front-floor-pan-2-or-4-door

The full floor pans that you can buy on Amazon and such are stamped for the 84-96 body style. I did put one in a 98, but the Ebrake opening is completely wrong, just haven't gotten around to adapting to it. The XJ is basically a trailer queen now, so not too worried about the ebrake yet.

So it sounds like that pan fits all years prior to '96, which is great. I may drive down to Omix and take a look at it and get some measurements.

Back