• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fixing parking brake lever

SuperDOS

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday when disengaging the parking brake on my XJ 98, the button and the pin came out from the lever. Now I can no longer engage the brake, it seems that the locking mechanism isn't working. After removing the storage bin I'm able to lock the brake if I fiddle with the little metal thing that locks into the "cog wheel".

I don't think anything broke but can't figure out how it should be assembled.
Can't find any good resources how the brake works.

Is it repairable or do I need to find a new brake?

I've never had one apart, so I have no idea... That being said, if I had to guess, I would say you might be missing something like this:
94807a034p1-med-b01-digitall.png
It's referred to as a "push nut"... But again, it's just a guess.

I was about to offer to sell you one and ship it to your for very little money... but then I see that you're in Sweden.

yeah, will have a look for one here on the junkyards to bad they are very far from where I live...

just don't get what should hold the pin in place.

Looks like the rod, #13, in SuperDOS' pic, hooks over the top of #14, the pawl. The rod pushes the top of the pawl to disengage the brake, and the hook keeps the rod from coming out.

Could it be that somehow yours got straightened and needs that hook on the end?

The only other thing I can think of, is the button somehow stops against the inside of the handle to keep from coming completely out...

could it be that somehow yours got straightened and needs that hook on the end?

well the picture is for an older model, Cherokee Briarwood so the one in my XJ is different. would be great to get some better pictures of an working lever if anyone has one.

Well, you're SOL... Since my '98 is down and I needed to figure out why my OBA stopped working, I decided to pull the center console (the switches for the OBA and rear locker are where the ashtray used to be)...

Anyway, the entire E-brake assembly is put together with rivets, not clevises and snap rings like #15 & 16 in your pic above. So there is no way I'm destroying it to find out how it works.

I tried to look up in there with a mirror and flashlight... Can't see anything that would help. I cant get the rubber sleeve off of the handle either.

Sorry, I tried...

just wanted to let you know that I've fixed it.
had to remove the rubber grip on the handle and then bend the end of the rod to a hook and the reassemble. :)

Back