• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hatch assembly non-functional

bigalpha

So my rear hatch assembly doesn't really work. It doesn't easily unlock and the power locks don't work at all. The actuator works, but it won't cycle the assembly. There's obviously a broken piece, but I have no idea what it's supposed to look like.

Pics.

I don't see anything broken. I see a lack of lubricant. Lube it well with white lithium grease. Available in a spray can from your local friendly parts store.

I had this same issue with the 2001 I just got. I managed to get the back hatch open, took off the plastic panel so I could get to the back side of the locking assembly. There is a plastic retainer clip on a threaded rod. I used a small screw driver to get the plastic retainer open, moved it down (away from the end of the rod) and clamped it back on. Now the back hatch opens and my power locks all started working.

If you cant get the rear hatch open, you might be able to get the plastic panel off from inside while it is closed.

Are you sure your blankie isn't caught in there?

hahaha. Gotta admit, it took me a second to remember that.

I had this same issue with the 2001 I just got. I managed to get the back hatch open, took off the plastic panel so I could get to the back side of the locking assembly. There is a plastic retainer clip on a threaded rod. I used a small screw driver to get the plastic retainer open, moved it down (away from the end of the rod) and clamped it back on. Now the back hatch opens and my power locks all started working.

If you cant get the rear hatch open, you might be able to get the plastic panel off from inside while it is closed.

The mechanism works to open the hatch, so it's not locked shut. If I lock it, though, it's near impossible to unlock it.

I don't see anything broken. I see a lack of lubricant. Lube it well with white lithium grease. Available in a spray can from your local friendly parts store.

The plastic piece in the orange square looks broken on the top near the spring. I didn't know if there was a part that was important that broke off.

The actuator in the red square pushes on the plastic assembly in the yellow square. Problem is that the plastic assembly is hitting that metal bit (also in the yellow square) and stopping.

What is the thing in the orange square supposed to do? What about the one metal thing in the yellow square?
9QYYiQDh.png

The part in the orange box is supposed to be the lift spring. It supposed to push the gate out away from the striker when the lock is released. It is also supposed to keep tension against the striker so the lock doesn't rattle. You are correct, it is broken; there should be a tab that contacts the striker.

The metal part in the yellow box is the dome light/gate ajar switch. it does look like it may have pivoted on its rivet and that has caused it to be blocking the white slider.

I don't quite follow the function of the lift spring. Does it do something only when you unlock the hatch?

What position should the ajar switch be in? I assume that it rotated clockwise; so to fix it, I should rotate it counter-clockwise? I shouldn't have to push the cylinder in to lock the hatch, right?

I can't find a picture of this thing to save my life.

you can take the interior plastic off the gate with it closed. then access the gate mechanics to open it. Mine actually broke and couldn't be opened from the outside no matter what you did

you can take the interior plastic off the gate with it closed. then access the gate mechanics to open it. Mine actually broke and couldn't be opened from the outside no matter what you did

The gate opens and closes, it just doesn't lock/unlock. I did take the panel off anyways because I have to replace all the little christmas trees.

Alright, so I'm coming back to update this as solved.

The little bracket that the dome light switch is on was bent and out of it's alignment hole (see previously referenced website). Because of this, the assembly that locks/unlocks the hatch couldn't move correctly.

Pulled the whole assembly, bent the bracket back and made sure everything was in alignment. Cleaned the contacts and verified continuity.

Note that I didn't have to drill the rivet - it all bent back into shape w/o needing to do that.

Reinstalled and everything is good to go.

Back