• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5 or 4.75 backspacing for no rubbing on 31x10 and 2-3' lift?

2000XJDD

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 jeep cherokee with a 2.5-3 inch lift (daily driver that will not be used for rock crawling). I'm currently on 15x7 and 30x9.5 without any rubbing issues.

I'm interested in getting 15x8 wheels and 31x10 tires. Which backspacing should I be looking to get without having to trim the fenders or worry about the tires hitting the LCA?

I've read that a backspacing of 4.5-4.75 is recommended, but just wanted to confirm. It would be helpful to see pictures of this setup as well.

thanks for the feedback.

I currently have 30x9.5 on 15x7 with 4.25 backspacing (soft 8's).

Would a 10x5 tire on 15x8 with 4.75 backspacing stick out the same amount? it's my understanding the 8 inch wheel would stick out half an inch more than a 7 inch rim.

Anyone out there running 15x8 wheels with 4.75 backspacing?

Just want to hear if anyone experienced issues with rubbing LCA or fender flares on 2-3 inch lift before I pull the trigger.

I'm not sure anyone can tell unequivocally what amount of trimming or how much rubbing you'll have to do with any given backspace. I suggest going with the minimum backspace you think you could live with and modify accordingly. I would rather trim than have rubbing on my control arms.

You can run 31x10.50R15 on stock 15x7 wheels. I have them on my 1988 Xj with 1.5" aluminum spacers..obviously no rubbing.

Why not just run the new tires on your current wheels? Might rub factory LCA's at full lock. If you lift, I recommend new LCA's anyways, so that should not be an issue. May run stock flare location, but bump stops and trimming can help this.
I'm running 31x10.5 on stock wheels and about 3.5-4" lift.

Back