• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 zj rear disk swap

kippo1

NAXJA Forum User
I know this has been beat to death. I did a search an read all the threads. I still have a couple of questions.

I got rotors, calipers, backing plates, well the whole rear en out of a 96 grand cherokee with disk brakes. i didn't get the prop valve or master cylinder.

from what I read the xj and zj masters are the same.
the boosters are the same.
Is the above correct.

If i use the axles out of the zj rear end will I be good as far as lug length?

is there anything else I need to get off the zj?

The booster and master are the same. Verified by the Jeep parts manual.you can swap just the internals of the prop valve or change the prop valve. I cheated on my 87 when I did the conversation. I cut 1 turn out of the spring in the prop valve. The ZJ axles should fit. Napa has new studs. I found the napa replacement studs for a Cherokee are the same length as the ZJ studs. The Napa ZJ disc brake studs are slightly longer the the stock ZJ studs. You should be able to use the parking brake cables from the ZJ . Just route them properly.

What year is your Cherokee. What rear axle do you have (Dana or Chrysler)?

from what I read the xj and zj masters are the same.
Depends, if your Cherokee is 1995 or up, then yes

the boosters are the same.
The part numbers are different but in reality I'm not sure how different they are.

If i use the axles out of the zj rear end will I be good as far as lug length?

The Grand Cherokee didn't come with the Chrysler rear axle, so if your Cherokee has a Chrysler rear axle then you can't just swap axle shafts (you probably knew that). I don't know much about the Dana 35 rear axle so I can't comment on putting D35 axle shafts from a Grand into a non-Grand Cherokee. I would imagine the only considerations are the stud lengths and ABS rings. If you bring a big hammer and protect the stud threads with a spare lug nut, you can just hammer them out, it's not that hard.

is there anything else I need to get off the zj?

Need? no. Make sure you have parking brake shoes/pads. You'll have to figure out how to hook up your parking brake cables. I personally would have grabbed the prop valve it was available but it's more of a good measure then a necessity.

After the swap, I would drive it as is and see how it feels. Some people leave it be, some people remove it, some people mod or swap prop valve.

Well, if you have a turdy5, and the zj axle is a turdy5 then axles shafts should be plug n pray. Otherwise, The ZJ never had a C8.25. The wheel lugs are cheap enough, if you need to replace them, buy a set from your local parts store. They are easy enough if you need to swap them out. I typically use some spare open end wheel lugs and an impact gun to pull them through.

I swapped ZJ discs about years ago ... Never touched the prop valve, everything worked as it should, so I left it alone.
I agree, swap, test, decide.

It is a d35 in both. The prop valve is still available so I will grab it. I got E brake cables for a 03 liberty. Looks like I have everything so I'm planning on knocking this out tomorrow

Prop%20Valve%20Guts_zpsnkzvaqyg.jpg
Just swap the prop valve guts from the ZJ into your prop valve. There is a difference.

I will do that. Was hoping to get it done yesterday but was to busy. Went back and got the prop valve. Hopefully Ii can get it done tomorrow.

X2 it's not the normal driving braking that it affects, but the emergency braking that it does.
OK, now you have me curious ...

Although I must state that with my stock 2000 prop valve, WJ fronts, ZJ/TJ/Explorer rears ... My emergency braking is far better and safer than it was stock, tried and tested on quite a few occasions. The fronts lock as expected and the rear tracks as it is supposed to. Think I managed to get lucky and find the correct balance. The first test was in a west coast downpour, I was expecting some trouble, I was pleasantly surprised.

BUT ... I am planning to update the MJ in similar fashion but with stock fronts, I highly doubt I'll get so lucky twice.

I have a 92 xj with the crappy brake booster. Installed grand cherokee discs in the back and drove like it for a couple of years no complaints. On 33s I can only say I have locked the front wheels once.

A few weeks ago before a big wheeling trip I decided to put the grand cherokee prop valve in that had discs and since then I have been able to lock up the rear brakes twice. The fronts never locked up.

Not sure if I will put the original prop valve back in. May upgrade the brake booster first and see how it responds to that then decide.

Back