• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fire Extinguisher Mount

Anak

Stranger
NAXJA Member
The best info I could find on what I wanted to do was in this thread, and it seems the OP's pictures are gone and the link to the better idea doesn't work anymore: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1078945

My priorities and conclusion are pretty much the same as in that thread:

The location was determined by a number of factors:
*Ease of reach
*Not being in the way
*Not being a projectile in the case of an accident.

The location I decided met all of these criteria was just in front of the drivers seat.
I started with the fire extinguisher that was already installed in my XJ by a previous owner, but installed in the spot for the spare tire. And no, there was no other provision made for a spare tire.

I think this extinguisher is a bit taller than what was being used in the referenced thread. I had to mount it at a bit of an angle in order to fit it such that my feet will clear it on the way in and out of the vehicle. It is however a metal fire extinguisher with a metal clamp.

It mounts using the bolts for the seat. I believe this type of seat mount is the same for '95 to '01. I also sandwiched in my floor mat so that it can't migrate around anymore.

96XJFireExtMount1OPT.jpg

The studs are just 3/8-16 bolts with the heads cut off and then flush welded on the back sides of the rectangular steel tubing. Nylock nuts to make sure they stay put over time.

96XJFireExtMount3OPT.jpg

Halfway installed.

96XJFireExtMount5OPT.jpg

How the floor mat is sandwiched

96XJFireExtMount7OPT.jpg

How it sits once all together

The one down side with this particular extinguisher and arrangement is that it only works for tall folks. The seat can only move forward one or two notches. It is not a problem for me, and in the event a service tech or someone else needs to drive the vehicle the extinguisher can be unlatched, removed and the seat will then be able to move forward. It is not the perfect solution and won't work for everyone, but I thought I would throw it out there in case it give someone else some inspiration. I think ease of access should be a priority for a fire extinguisher.

And I now have a spare tire in the back of my Jeep. Progress, one step at a time.

Sweet! I'm totally moving mine to there. I've had mine in the same spot but in front of the left backseat on the floor. back there it's not quick to access when I need to jump into action. I thought about mounting it on the driverside of my roof rack but if I were to roll or lay the XJ on its side I might not be able to get to it. If it's at the driver's seat it's always with in reach. I like it!

I been looking at quick release mounts the last week or so. I have a 2.0lb one mounted in same spot as your. I want to get a bigger one at least a 2.5 lb one mounted same spot in front of driver seat. Also thinking about another one on a quick release mount on rear d pillar bar on hybrid cage inside . But also have mount on rear tire carrier or roof area. So when I get on a trail I will move rear one to the outside of vehicle so anyone can access the fire extinguisher for ME or their vehicle. Shit happens!

Nice work on your mount, Anak, but I went a different way with mine.

Like you, I want the extinguisher to be secure and always within easy reach. But having it on the floor in front of my seat would drive me nuts because I like to tuck my left foot up against the seat at times, especially on long drives. So I decided to put my extinguisher on the back of my seat, using the posts on the headrest. (I know that most XJs don't have adjustable headrests, but my '99 Limited does.)

The hardest part was finding some sort of suitable clamps to attach to the posts. After scouring the shelves in the local home improvement stores and spending much time on Google, I finally found some 1/2" hydraulic hose mounts that fit the bill nicely. Then I bought a wire fire extinguisher bracket on eBay, chopped it up, welded the parts that I needed (the spring clips) to the hose mounts, et voila, I have a functional, accessible, and very secure headrest fire extinguisher mount.

2421AE0B-7AFC-49E7-9A70-A60DD800640E_zpsxtzxzuqk.jpg

27474EA8-CE6D-48D2-AAC0-33D5BBBB0CC7_zpsjv3rrc8i.jpg

819353EF-510D-4B14-8257-A3DA1AD6211E_zpsxxrzhcfe.jpg

The hydraulic hose clamps were inexpensive. So I bought a couple of extras to use on the passenger side eventually for a handheld radio mount, or a drink holder, or perhaps a balpeen hammer in case of a zombie outbreak.

:greensmok

I couldn't get away with that arrangement myself. I would end up with a Jeep full of dry chemical at some unexpected time. Put a bright red shiny thing like that right in front of The Varmints? Yeah. I know where that is going. :wow:

It would be tempting. Legal types might call it an attractive nuisance.

Good thing my kids are all grown up.

Nice work on your mount, Anak, but I went a different way with mine.

Like you, I want the extinguisher to be secure and always within easy reach. But having it on the floor in front of my seat would drive me nuts because I like to tuck my left foot up against the seat at times, especially on long drives. So I decided to put my extinguisher on the back of my seat, using the posts on the headrest. (I know that most XJs don't have adjustable headrests, but my '99 Limited does.)

The hardest part was finding some sort of suitable clamps to attach to the posts. After scouring the shelves in the local home improvement stores and spending much time on Google, I finally found some 1/2" hydraulic hose mounts that fit the bill nicely. Then I bought a wire fire extinguisher bracket on eBay, chopped it up, welded the parts that I needed (the spring clips) to the hose mounts, et voila, I have a functional, accessible, and very secure headrest fire extinguisher mount.

2421AE0B-7AFC-49E7-9A70-A60DD800640E_zpsxtzxzuqk.jpg

27474EA8-CE6D-48D2-AAC0-33D5BBBB0CC7_zpsjv3rrc8i.jpg

819353EF-510D-4B14-8257-A3DA1AD6211E_zpsxxrzhcfe.jpg

The hydraulic hose clamps were inexpensive. So I bought a couple of extras to use on the passenger side eventually for a handheld radio mount, or a drink holder, or perhaps a balpeen hammer in case of a zombie outbreak.

This mount/placement is sick. Would you make another? :angel:

I have mine mounted floor between seat and lower trim panel

You guys must drive a lot gentler than I do. Those fire extinguishers would be all over the place.

I have several of these mounts around with fire extinguishers and other devices mounted to them.

http://www.stinkyfab.com/sfr-products/fire-extinguisher-mounts.html

117_2818-s_1.jpg

just noticed a design element on these...

i have used the pricey billet drake mounts (almost identical to this) and they rattle like crazy. the through bolt for the "hook and swing" side of these looks like you can apply some tension and keep it from rattling. yes?

just noticed a design element on these...

i have used the pricey billet drake mounts (almost identical to this) and they rattle like crazy. the through bolt for the "hook and swing" side of these looks like you can apply some tension and keep it from rattling. yes?

That is precisely the reason for using a bolt and nyloc bolt in that hole, so you can dial in a little tension to keep rattles down.

Back