• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aux Fan Relay Question.

The Mick

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, I have a 96 cherokee country and the aux fan relay is being wonky. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it sticks and stays on even after shutting of the key and the fan just runs with the jeep off. All the relays in the box are the same except for the fan relay. It's most likely an aftermarket but I'm not sure. All the ones I do a search for are of a different style for this year so I think it's got the set up for a 97.

My question is does it actually take the same relay as the rest in the box or is it a different one. And Would I just be better off going to a dealer instead of Auto zone or the likes.

Thanks, Mick.

My 98 uses the same relay for the radiator aux fan, auto shutdown relay, starter and fuel pump.

Not sure if it's the correct relay, Rock Auto shows a different radiator fan relay for a 96

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # RY607 {#4638271, 56006179, 56006904}

Lists the same Auto Shutdown relay as the 98

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # RY116T Ignition Control T-Series

Try an online Mopar parts site. Enter year / model or VIN ... should list the correct OEM relays with part number from a 96 Jeep oem parts manual.

Last edited:
OEM part numbers from a 94 - 96 Parts manual.

4638271 - RELAY, Cooling Fan, 6 Cyl., w/Hev. Duty Cooling

4638271 - XJ Relay, Starter Relay, w/Diesel Eng. EUROPE also used Ballast

4638094 - RELAY, Anti-Diesel--Fuel Pump--A/C--Throttle Control--Oxygen Sensor--Illumination--Idle Speed Control--Trailer Tow (Includes Bracket) (Stmpd. 83507045

4638094 AR ZJ RELAY, Blower Fan Motor w/A.T.C.
56006846 - XJ,ZJ RELAY w/Trailer Tow ***

56006771 - XJ,ZJ RELAY, ABS Motor

56005146 - XJ,ZJ RELAY, Backlite

- RELAY, Fog Lamp
4638271 XJ 1994-96
4638271 ZJ 1994

Last edited:
My 96 has the same numbers as yours. I do have one different in the starter position,but it is a "Tyco" brand and last 4 are 1167. I am sure they are all the same,as I have swapped them around.

OEM part numbers from a 94 - 96 Parts manual.

4638271 - RELAY, Cooling Fan, 6 Cyl., w/Hev. Duty Cooling

4638271 - XJ Relay, Starter Relay, w/Diesel Eng. EUROPE also used Ballast

4638094 - RELAY, Anti-Diesel--Fuel Pump--A/C--Throttle Control--Oxygen Sensor--Illumination--Idle Speed Control--Trailer Tow (Includes Bracket) (Stmpd. 83507045

4638094 AR ZJ RELAY, Blower Fan Motor w/A.T.C.
56006846 - XJ,ZJ RELAY w/Trailer Tow ***

56006771 - XJ,ZJ RELAY, ABS Motor

56005146 - XJ,ZJ RELAY, Backlite

- RELAY, Fog Lamp
4638271 XJ 1994-96
4638271 ZJ 1994

This is what I kept coming up with and that relay is physically different in shape. I know late 96 jeeps have some parts issues where some are 96 some are 97. I'll just give the Mopar dealer a call on monday with my vin ect...
Thanks for the reply it is still very appreciated.

Those are just micro-iso relays. The only difference if any is the current rating of the contacts. Personally I would get a handful at the local selfserve junkyard, they probably won't even charge you.

My 96 has the same numbers as yours. I do have one different in the starter position,but it is a "Tyco" brand and last 4 are 1167. I am sure they are all the same,as I have swapped them around.

I have swapped some of the others when checking out the fuel pump ect. but not this one as it was different even though I figured it was just after market. But I didn't want to risk it taking different voltage or something as I'm not that knowledgeable with electronics.

Thank you and I'll report back after talking to the Mopar service.

Well after a failed call to the closest dealer who just kept telling me "but the computer says" over and over I just took the cover off the relay pulled the spring so the armature could be moved around a bit and cleaned the contacts put it back together and now it seems to be working fine. I'll just order one online. I seem to go through this every time I need and electronics part with this jeep. I can't get anyone here to hear me when I say it's a transitional year jeep. They will not just give me a part if I give them a part number they insist on make, model and year and won't accept anything other than what their computer tells them. I never had this problem when I lived in the city.

Why'd you bother calling the dealer over a relay when they're almost free at the junkyard?

Back