• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator flush ideas?

tylergrant2011

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I have a 1987 jeep comanche 4.0l with a rust colored liquid in the reservoir. This model is closed and has no radiator cap. Any ideas on how to flush the cooling system?

Use a chemical flush additive. Follow the flush product instructions on the label. You will either add a flushing T to the heater hoses, or introduce the additive by removing the upper radiator hose.

Mine easy to do when i had a closed system.( totaled it) I took it to my radiator shop ( have used this shop for years) and he charges me a 100 bucks. After 5 years it was still clean and never over heated even running the AC in the desert. Today's temp is going to be around 110.

Ive never had any luck with any flush additive IMO its amother snake oil. The tees always leak. If nothing isplugged just keep refilling it with water. It might ttake a while but it gets it done

Dexcool is orange and G-05 is yellow when diluted.

If you are sure its rust, drain and refill repeatedly until it stays transparent of the color you put back in. Conventional green was factory fill. I've never heard anyone complain about using G-05 but see no reason to use it.

Its for sure rust from sitting up with no coolant for years. Ive used tap water on open systems but I was wondering if any additives are guaranteed to works. Looks more or less on opinions.

Back