• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start after warm but fires up with foot to floor.

lapisxj

NAXJA Forum User
On our 99 XJ (stock 4.0) we have an issue with it not starting. After a short drive and the vehicle has had time to warm up (like to work or store or something) let it sit for a bit (time it takes to get groceries, grab lunch, etc), come back out and it won't start. It will crank, has spark, and has fuel pressure (mid 40's psi). When it gets in this condition I can mash the pedal to the floor and crank on it for 5-10 seconds and eventually get it to fire up. It's worth noting that we do smell fuel while troubleshooting this condition. If you shut it down and crank it right back up it doesn't seem to have any issues doing so.

We had originally suspected a fuel pump problem but after hooking a gauge up and monitoring it for the past few days I don't think that's the case. How long should it hold fuel pressure in the rail and how would I test for a bad injector?

Throttle body is clean and most of the sensors on the TB are new/been replaced.

Pull you dip stick and see if it smells like gas. What you describe sounds like the engine is being flooded. That would be caused by sticky injectors. Another test would be to put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail and verify the correct pressure while it is running. Turn off the engine and see how long it takes to drop.

Your statement that it starts if you hold the throttle to the floor is a key. If you do that, the computer recognizes this state and turns off all the injectors. That would allow the flood to be pumped out and the plugs to dry enough to fire.

Heat soak on the other hand is caused by the fuel boiling in the injectors after you stop. That puts a bubble that has to be pushed through the injector before it will work. It would not respond to the flooring the pedal.

I would recommend running a can of BG-44K through the fuel to clean the injectors. I run a can every 10k miles on every vehicle I own.

Fuel pressure while running normal is still in the mid 40's. The fuel pressure doesn't drop for the first few minutes while I'm watching it but I'll go see how long it takes to eventually bleed down. 5 min, 10 min???

I've just left the gauge on for now. It's a cheap HF one and the fitting doesn't push on the shrader valve so I had to pull the valve core and screw it on till my testing is over. I'd like to get a better gauge that I don't have to do that with.

I'll pull the stick too.

sounds like injector leaking after you shut it off

you can pull the fuel rail and lay it on a piece of cardboard, prime the pump a couple of times and see if any of the injectors leak

I've never pulled injectors before. Once the clamps and electrical connectors are undone do they just pull straight out?

Old man was on the right track: heat soak is causing bubbles to form inside the injectors.
There was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) issued on this for '99-'01 cars and an injector
heat insulation kit was made available. Basically, the kit was some closed-cell foam socks
that you wrapped around each injector, and kept them in place with plastic zip ties.

?? how and in what way does this relate to the problem??

Dirty throttle body combined with a malfunction idle valve will lead to hard starts.

Coolant temp sensor verified? Could stuck cold flooding the motor

The 99 has a single coolant sensor, if it was failed and showing full cold it would show that on the gauge as well.

Run the can of BG44K. It is a good thing to do anyway, I would bet you will see a big difference. It will normally fix a leaky injector.

Back