• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New (old) XJ , NEWBIE

CTGXJ3

NAXJA Forum User
So excited to say I just bought my second XJ. It is a 99' 2 door 5 speed 4wd. I am ready to build this into my dream daily/weekend warrior jeep.
I do need some help. My jeep has a few issues I want to address before : lift tires bumpers. Currently the drivers door has a sag like a mother, I see it is a common problem but it really intimidates the mess out of me. Second the passagner door has been broken into and the key cylinder is busted out. Last but not least when you turn off the jeep it makes a terrible clunking sound and seems to rattle from the transmission , I want to say it is a bad transmission mount but I am not sure. The motor seems to be in great shape and clutch feels great. Drives wonderfully. It has been backed into and the front clip is cracked pretty bad in one corner. I plan on replacing the whole front clip and upgrading the lights with the LED headlight. ( thoughts on the LED? )

After all above issues are fixed I plan on putting on a 3.5 Rubicon Express lift with new leaf springs. A Rubicon Express trac bar and old man emu steering stabilizer. and run old TJ rubicon rims with a 255 / 75 / 17 BFG MT.
( Any compatibility issues? Does this require any drive train upgrades )

Lastly an ARB front bumper and full length roof basket. Still undecided about the rear bumper. ( will that front bumper with a winch cause any lean ? suggestions on the rear bumper, {no tire carrier} ?)

Quick back story on my old XJ I bought it completely built and loved it , I was a dumb 16 year old and a girl would not date me because of it and all of my friends made fun of me for having a snorkel on it. I sold it and immediately regretted it. Clearly I have learned a lot since then. 9 years later I am ready to build my dream XJ !

Thank You all for the help. Please excuse any ignorance, I am here to learn. :cheers:

I once asked a buddy what I should do? My girlfriend says it is either my dog or her. My buddy simply said, "a good dog is hard to find".

I woulda told her to kick rocks and as for your friends guess they didn't want a ride lol but your build sounds solid i also have the knocking noise when i shut my 88 off its nothing really to worry about unless one these vets has an idea but good luck and hope to see you in the trails

Back