• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

POR15 painting

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, not sure which forum this should land in so I figure it's modification ;) If wrong forum, mods feel free to move as appropriate

Anyways, my front exo cage needs some love.... it's starting to pickup surface rust. I figure I will fix it once and for all and invest into POR15. Now the prep work and the rest is easy. I was surprised to find out that it is not good with UV... so that means I should paint over it? Or is leaving POR15 just fine? If not, what y'all have done to prep por15 coated surface for painting and which paint did you use to paint over?

POR-15 has a product with UV protection now.

POR15 sticks best to just rust. Doesn't stick to clean paint or clean bare metal very well. I would hit the rust spots with the POR then paint it and everything else with other paint. I like the VHT engine paint, it seems to hold up very well to uv and scratches.

POR15 sticks best to just rust. Doesn't stick to clean paint or clean bare metal very well. I would hit the rust spots with the POR then paint it and everything else with other paint. I like the VHT engine paint, it seems to hold up very well to uv and scratches.

Hmmm didn't think about this approach - might do it that way then. The exo is painted with flat spray paint. I will then just cover the rusty spots and then paint over the rest.

In SoCal, I would skip POR-15 completely. RustOleum is quick, easy, and sticks well to itself. Anytime my CJ-7 bumpers get scuffed up, I just pressure wash, scrub with ScotchBrite red, and slap on a fresh coat with a disposable brush. Epoxy appliance paint also holds up well.

In SoCal, I would skip POR-15 completely. RustOleum is quick, easy, and sticks well to itself. Anytime my CJ-7 bumpers get scuffed up, I just pressure wash, scrub with ScotchBrite red, and slap on a fresh coat with a disposable brush. Epoxy appliance paint also holds up well.
Well.. I get enough of salt in the air from the ocean that some areas on the exo are hit by rust.

You were asking about POR-15, but this is by far the best paint out there in my opinion. It was developed for the military (notice the brand name), and it is virtually indestructible.

http://www.topsecretcoatings.com/cstore/pc/TS-100-Silicone-Epoxy-Gallon-77p143.htm

They have all type of paints and finishes. The coating is thin but covers better than anything I have ever seen and it is less prone to crack because it is also slightly flexible.

They sell it in quarts as well and you can get it in 100 colors.

In quarts, it isn't that different in price to POR-15

Properly prepared and properly applied, POR-15 is excellent and works as advertised. I have found RustOleum works well when confronted with snow melting road salt, and is much cheaper. I never noticed any salt air when I lived in Anaheim, however you are somewhat closer to the ocean.

If you paint over rust with something like Rustoleum paint, you'll get rust again. You need to chemical inactivate the iron oxide. I've been using Corroseal here lately. Everyone should have some of this around...
http://www.corroseal.com/rust/photos.aspx
Here is a TJ frame/suspension parts I treated after sandblasting the flaky stuff off. It sprays on with a simple carafe bottle (i.e. Windex bottle) as a white, somewhat milky, coating - not like a paint. After about 10-15mins, the stuff starts turning a purplish color and then flashes over black as you see it. It's awesome!

19BEFD5B-F9FE-4BD6-8BA4-9E0D433465DD_zpsehituddk.jpg

3E5F2007-2E34-4377-BD16-5F15C414B2B9_zpsq3q2gpkx.jpg

Last edited:
POR15 is a great paint. If you use it semi-properly. I have found it still sticks great and lasts long even without any of the special prepping chemicals they say you must use. However, like mentioned already, it does not adhere well to bare metal, you will never get coverage with 1 coat and I feel it is less durable. You will have to topcoat as well if you get regular POR15, but they do sell UV stuff. I am not a huge cheerleader of Rustoleum, but one paint that is real good is the Hammered line. I painted the entire underside of my floor with it 2+ years ago. You could eat off of it if you wiped the dust off, it still looks great.

Back