• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior Relay Box?

JeepNoob

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, so I searched here and the interwebz and couldn't find any useful info so here goes...

Yesterday I was dinking around on my '96 XJ Sport, mostly yanking out crap from an outdated stereo system that was long gone when I bought it. (Rear-mounted CD changer anyone?) Yep, the controller for that thing was mounted under my dash with a bunch of wires that went to nothing but the fusebox.

Anyways, when I was under there yanking out wires and stuff, I noticed a relay box on the driver's side, right next to the center console and under the dash. No fuses, just a couple relays, looked like it may have been mounted to 2 holes in the underdash trim piece (the big long one that runs from side to side) I also noticed what looked like a capacitor with some wires running to it. It was a bare-metal, silver color, about the size of a roll of film (remember those?) and pretty warm. It was taped to a bit of the wiring harness with that thick, fabric-like tape the OEMs like to use. Hmmmm, car audio capacitor maybe?

My question is, has anybody seen anything like this before? It looks like it could be factory, but the stereo job that was done on this thing looks like it had been done fairly cleanly by somebody who had half an idea what they doing. I don't want to go yanking it out until I'm pretty sure it isn't OEM. I've noticed some intermittent, rapid clicking coming from one of the relays down there, but so far no factory electrical gremlins that would suggest a malfunctioning relay. I suppose it's also worth mentioning that I've seen what I'm 99.9% sure is factory wiring for optional equipment my rig never got (case in point, wiring and connectors next to the headlamp switch for what I suspect would've been a fog lamp switch.)

Pics would help. One closeup of the box, another a bit farther back to show placement.

Okay, here's what I got so far-

11425795_10207001187536517_3421042803016080155_n.jpg

Relay box in question. Laying under the dash and also trying to get good pictures kinda sucks, but you can see a blue relay there and the two mounting holes I was talking about. Never mind that black cable, it was connected to the CD changer controller and runs to the cargo compartment. Still need to yank it out.

10492528_10207001190576593_2387276997915749864_n.jpg

Further out. You can still see the blue relay. The connector that's taped to the harness held the silver, capacitor looking thing. Turns out it's removable.

10502072_10207001199456815_1069153508057983308_n.jpg

Silver thing in question. As you can see, it has three prongs but absolutely no markings on it what-so-ever.

Back