• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popping in Drivetrain - Where to start?

SafariJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all -

I have a 1990 XJ, AX-15, 4.0L, 231 Tcase, C8.25 (27spline) with LockRight lunchbox locker.

Recently I have started to get a pretty substantial popping when accelerating. It usually happens in threes, with the first being worst and the last being minor - POP, Pop, pop.It can happen in a straight line, but it seems to be happen most often after coming out of a turn. I haven't had a chance to look into it yet, and I think I know what's up but I just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

I am guessing that this is an issue with the locker, but could it be the transfer case?

If the locker, what should I look for? Worn/broken teeth? Missing spring?

Is there something else that could be binding and causing this? I have recently done a 5.5" lift, but I have an SYE and custom-built DS with shims at the leafs to correct driveline angle, so I don't think it's binding in the DS.

Thanks in advance.

Check all of your U-joints. My popping sound was coming from the front axle u-joints.

Mine was still popping without a front driveshaft ...

Even if that's not the problem for your popping, it probably not a bad idea to swap them out.

I would check for busted pins in that lockrite along with bad springs. Since you have to pull it apart any way, also check the teeth.

I would check for busted pins in that lockrite along with bad springs. Since you have to pull it apart any way, also check the teeth.

Cool. Yeah that is my plan. From what I am reading I am suspecting that I have something wrong with the locker. Looks like a replacement spring/pin set is only $20 so if that is the case then that wouldn't be the worst thing.

Busted pins are fairly common and many times you can just replace then and everything is OK. YMMV

Back