• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

160 amp alternator cel light on

ryurabbit

NAXJA Member #611
Ok I have a 160 alternator and it worked fine. have all the fusing in place so no problems. After 6 months the pcm starting freaking out and letting the alternator go to 18 volts. Blew 2 headlights and 2 marker lights. So put in an external regulator and works fine now but pcm light wont go out no matter what I do. I have a kit from quick start:
http://alternatorparts.com/external-voltage-regulator-high-output-alternator-kit.html

its supposed to eliminate the check engine light problem.

Cant get the beast smogged until I get the light off.

92 xj stroked with manual trans

Try swapping ECU? Maybe your ECU VR circuit or other fried already prior to your "fix"

know where i can get an ecu CHEAP? :bunny:

Last edited:
For a manual trans, AT/MT ECU SHOULDN'T matter, but not sure if it will set the CEL or not. I doubt it, should be plug n pray.

It will matter. It monitors speedo output from the transmission.

If 4WD is the speedo gear not in the t-case?
And, it is my understanding that 91-92 ECU will work.

Wow thanks for the info CAL and Johnnie Walker! Jeep runs clean as a whistle. Stupid alternator is the problem. It turns the check engine light on.

Anybody know how to fool the pcm into thinking all is well?

Also during a smog test if I attach a relay to the CEL light to turn off after key on and 5 seconds will the smog computer pick up the CEL on the scanner? :bunny:

On your OBD I jeep it might not. Depends on what computer they have.

You should be able to pickup a cheap alternator at the junkyard or ebay to smog on.

I would want the CEL light to work normally just to know if your engine fell out.. ;)

Yeah my engine did fall out once.....or at least the crank, piston and a bunch of metal!!!:confused1

I don't think it will help. I think its the computer. The old computer was working with the new alternator for 6 months. Then it started overcharging.

:bunny:

Wow thanks for the info CAL and Johnnie Walker! Jeep runs clean as a whistle. Stupid alternator is the problem. It turns the check engine light on.

Anybody know how to fool the pcm into thinking all is well?

Also during a smog test if I attach a relay to the CEL light to turn off after key on and 5 seconds will the smog computer pick up the CEL on the scanner? :bunny:

There is no plug in test for OBD-I vehicles that I know of. So, that should not matter.

I think im gonna have to make a delay timer and attach it to the light bulb. Looks like it functions and will pass the smog sniffer fine.

Thanks guys for all your help!

:bunny:

Back