• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1995 xj np242 to np231

Medic08

NAXJA Forum User
I destroyed my np242 this morning on my xj. Question is if I find a 231 is this a direct swap with little problem? I thought I have herd that it is a little shorter and requires a different length drive shaft. Thanks.

Try to find one from the same generation of XJ with the same transmission type and you will be fine.

If its same year and transmission, the only differences are the shift gate, bezel, and wiring (stock harness already has the 231 connector so just remove the 242 sub-harness and find the plug for the 231 further up)

Input gear changed on different generations and transmission types, so you would have to rebuild one that was older than 91, maybe if it had a different transmission too. Output shaft changed for 96-up so that would require a different driveshaft.

Other vehicles had different clocking patterns and other changes, so try to stay away from those

The '95 has the newer 23 spline input shaft so whatever the donor vehicle is.... ensure the vehicle is '91 and newer you get the shifter and linkage from the vehicle.

As EHall said... the other vehicles such as the TJ have a slightly different clocking (more flat for ground clearance).

Back