• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powersteering for a 1986

Wiser

NAXJA Forum User
1986 2.5L TBI I4 5speed 4x4

Hi, recently got back into an xj by getting a 1986 for pretty much free. The owner had for not more than 4 months and he put it on it's side. The front inner fenders were crushed along with the hood and other body panels. I ended up going to the junkyard and got some H.O 4.0L inner fenders and started swapping the 2.5L cooling system to a 4.0L system. Anyway, kind of a background at where I'm at.

Question: It looks as though I have the Saginaw P pump and I'm looking to swap to a TC pump. Is this possible to do? Are there any brackets I could swap from a different model?

Sorry for the large picture.

Pics

Why are you wanting to swap to a TC pump? Anything is possible just depends on how much you want to spend and time you want to put in. Plenty of write ups on swapping in a WJ pump and durango box. Did it on mine, works awesome. Turns 33's with a LSD like butter with a pinky. If you want to toss some money away you can look at the PSC systems.

Why are you wanting to swap to a TC pump? Anything is possible just depends on how much you want to spend and time you want to put in. Plenty of write ups on swapping in a WJ pump and durango box. Did it on mine, works awesome. Turns 33's with a LSD like butter with a pinky. If you want to toss some money away you can look at the PSC systems.

I've had a great luck with my previous Tc pump. The P pump I have currently is leaking. Im not familiar with the I4 and wasn't sure if the pump bracketed is different from the I6. I had a Durango box and a modified tc pump on my old Cherokee which turned a spooled Dana 44 on 36" Iroks no problem. Psc steering setups seem a bit much for a daily driver on 33" tires haha. Thanks for your input, going to check out the WJ pump mod.

No problem, agreed about the PSC set up for a DD. WJ pump is pretty straight forward. Only thing you have to do is swap the fitting over from the old pump and thread the holes. Bracket wise not exactly sure if it matches up the same as the 4.0.

No problem, agreed about the PSC set up for a DD. WJ pump is pretty straight forward. Only thing you have to do is swap the fitting over from the old pump and thread the holes. Bracket wise not exactly sure if it matches up the same as the 4.0.

Cool I found a detailed write up on here, just have to figure out the bracket situation. Thanks again.:peace:

Back