• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headliner

PSoffe

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys (and gals) i have (my wife) has a 2000 XJ that like almost all XJ's the headliner is coming down. Is it possible to reuse the existing material and re-spray glue it place or does it need to all be replaced. also how difficult on a scale of 1-10 is it to remove. I am pretty mechanical just wondering.

Lots of posts on this... but you can't re-glue the headliner once it starts falling. Also, on a 1-10 scale I'd say it's ~ a 4... and not because it's that difficult but because it takes some time. You can do it on a Saturday afternoon if you're mechanical.

You can buy the material at one of your local Fabric stores if you want to go custom or pick up the fabric f/an auto supply store. A Fabric store will likely be cheaper and cooler. :) I've replaced the headliner on both my previous and current XJ w/camo... and it looks great! Good luck and don't be afraid to try something custom for your wife. :)

I've replaced the headliner on both my previous and current XJ w/camo... and it looks great! Good luck and don't be afraid to try something custom for your wife. :)

Just a word from someone who's been happily married for 25 years...be sure to include your wife in picking the color/pattern!!! You can use pretty much any fabric, but the actual headliner fabric is foam backed (like headliner should be) and works out a whole lot better that regular old thin fabric in covering little imperfections on the board.

Also you'll need to buy spray adhesive to stick the fabric to the board. Don't cheap out. Buy the 3M brand. For a full XJ headliner I bought 3 cans, I used 2. I used the other can on my MJ a year later. It's $20+ per can.

Last edited:
You can use pretty much any fabric, but the actual headliner fabric is foam backed (like headliner should be) and works out a whole lot better that regular old thin fabric in covering little imperfections on the board.
Buy the 3M brand. For a full XJ headliner I bought 3 cans, I used 2. I used the other can on my MJ a year later. It's $20+ per can.

If you want it look Factory, buy the foam backed headliner material, as Paradise suggested.
When prepping the hard frame, all the old foam and fuzz must come off
for the adhesive to stick. The 3M adhesive is good stuff.
When spraying the adhesive, wear a organic filter to prevent breathing the solvents and glue
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Facepiece-Disposable-Respirators-Protection/dp/B007QY8WX0
There are lots of good videos on how to do this. Watch a few before starting.

I just pulled all the trim from around the headliner board. Then pulled the headliner out the back I then just ripped all the old fabric off and spray painted the foam board it's self. On a scale of 1-10 I'd say a 3. If a 16 year old can pull the headliner out in 20 mins and re install In about 10 then I'd say anyone can do it.
5386cd9131ca3ae8d6ad6210557efd3c.jpg

Thanks guys, appreciate all the input. I figured it wouldn't be too difficult and have experience with 3M spray adhesive having recovered several guitar amps.

I'll give it shot.

I didn't see it mentioned, but around here you can get that headliner material in just about any good fabric store. I just bought some to redo mine and it cost me around $25.

a tip for removing the old foam from the board

get yourself a new toilet brush from the .99 store, then snap the handle off about 6" from the head.

Chuck the handle stub up in your cordless drill, and go to town

Back