• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cowl Intake suppliers?..

Click-Click-Pull

NAXJA Forum User
I'm working on a 93' XJ 4.0 and had to take up the real-estate the air box usually does.
The first choice was 9948 from Spectre (K&N) since it seems THOR4x4 is no longer around...at least I couldn't find them. Well after a week of checking multiple sources (Autozone, Quadratec... Summit Racing, Jegs...Amazon end even Ebay) No dice :banghead:
Spectre only says it's no longer available. Quadratec says it's on back order until further notice...
Does anyone offer a kit for a cowl style intake anymore?
1. yes I could make one but would rather not reinvent the wheel.
2. I don't' have the resources (tools) to make it myself and not look like it was built from the plumbing section in Home-Depot. So I'd like it to look professional, functional and clean.
3. Please don't comment on my choice to go this direction if you don't agree. ( I know about noise issues, etc..) but thanks anyways!
I'm looking for input from the O'mighty powers of experience and knowledge that is NAXJA...

Last edited:
I'd suggest the K&N Apollo filter system as a base and use Spectre (or other) components to build the necessary piping. The Spectre 8148 is a nice panel mount / interface for a 3" pipe. I found my local Pep Boys had a nice selection of Spectre plastic piping pieces that I was able to assemble into a clean looking intake.

What did you put in the space where the stock box was located?

Nothing yet, I've been using a CO2 tank,so don't really need a compressor or anything. I've thought about putting the winch control box under the hood(when i finally get a winch), but I haven't looked into it much since I don't have the winch yet. So for now its just empty space.

I was curious what the OP did with his space.

I've run the THOR for about 2 years now and love it. My friend was able to order one last week, and the site looks like it still works when i go there, i was able to add one to my cart and get to the checkout page

http://shop.trailheadoffroad.ihostnetworks.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=XJCI91-01

I noticed the site working however when I tried to call their phone# it's invalid or disconnected so I was leery of ordering. Can this be verified some how before I shoot my hard-earned mula into cyberspace?

I'd suggest the K&N Apollo filter system as a base and use Spectre (or other) components to build the necessary piping. The Spectre 8148 is a nice panel mount / interface for a 3" pipe. I found my local Pep Boys had a nice selection of Spectre plastic piping pieces that I was able to assemble into a clean looking intake.

Thank you. I'll check it out and get back with any questions.
I appreciate it much~

I've done a bit of research into the parts you've mentioned.
Can you post a picture of your intake?

I didn't use the parts to build a cowl intake. I needed an intake to fit in the space I had, which wasn't much. It's two 60* bends and a 6" straight piece. The red adapter is to fit over the size of the throttle body intake, the black joiner is because the two 60* bends weren't quite long enough to reach each other in the space I had and the joiner gave me an extra 1/2". Down on the bottom right you can see the grey lip of the panel mount. I put that in intending to connect it to the front of the filter for cold air, but there ended up not being enough room.

I'm not intending to show off, just implying that Spectre sells enough of the various parts that I'm pretty confident you could put something together from the parts. They have 90* bends as well that I bought but didn't use. You could also get parts from siliconeintakes.com and put together whatever you wanted in a softer material.

Last edited:
T/Y for the responses.
I guess a kit is out of the question. I even tried to contact Spectre's tech dept with no reply. But you're right Spectre does offer plenty of options to build my own and at the suggestion I believe I'll be using the K&N RC-5052 as a base and perhaps Spectre parts to finish. If it turns out I'll take a picture and see if it helps the next guy...
I guess this is what happens after the $ slows down on aftermarket parts?
I hope I can finish it while they still make things for it:patriot:

does spectre not make the cowl induction kits anymore?

does spectre not make the cowl induction kits anymore?

87-90 XJ kit #9945 is still available.

91-2001 XJ kit #9948 I've been told is not available and it's been wiped from Spectre's web site. I've tried to order from multiple vendors with the same response. I did hear a rumor it's because of a redesign and one that they simply can't keep up demand... but just hearsay.
Maybe if a Spectre rep would respond to this post...

I have been thinking about changing my set up. Would you be interested in a used one?

I thought I replied. PM incoming.

Back