• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what's the terrain REALLY like out there??

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
ok.. i'm thinkin my mental picture of Moab is probably a lil off.. the only real pics i've seen of the area are the ones posted here, and the glorified hell's revenge pics you get in the magazines.... it must be more than just bare slickrock.. are there trails with mud? water crossing? it cant be as treeless as i imagine it, is it? paint me a bigger picture..
mike

You should have planned better and ordered the DVD from last years event :)

I could say what I saw on the DVD but then I maybe better should let some of the transplanted "locals" speak :)

The only trees are next to the river. It's a desert environment. Most of the time you'll be traveling on solid slickrock. There is no mud and only a minor water crossing or 2.

trail conditions

when you are not driving on slick rock, actually has the consistency of 80 grit sand paper, then you are driving on a rocky road. Lots of rock with a little sand and then rocks. Most trails are pretty rocky. Oh, did I mention that it's really rocky? I drive in mud here in Tennessee and I long for the rocks of Moab!:D

i guess i was prety accurate with what i thought tto expect... rocks surrounded by rocks?? sounds like new england!!!
mike

. . . . except that New England only has those colors in the fall.

And Northeastern rocks is slippy and in billions of pieces.

Seems like most of the Utah surface is one big, gritty rock with a lot of ripples, and a few thousand babies scattered around.

Granite - Sandstone

Igneous - Sedimentary

Dark and Mysterious - Wild and Wonderful

Make sure you get your butt out here, Mike. The NAC crowd is thinnin' a bit!

37 hours! :D

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Mike in NJ said:
37 hours! :D

37 hours? Is that how long it takes you to drive there if you go straight through without so much as a pit-stop? :D

Makes my 12 hours from Los Angeles seem trivial!

i think mike was referring to his launch time being 37 hours away. however the trip is about that much driving time as well.. mapquest tells me i'm looking at 2400 miles and about 36 hrs seat time.. i'll be wrenching in the rain all weekend to finish up.... what the hell am i thinking???
mike

Yup Mike, you've got it right, except now that number is down to 29!!!! (yeehah!)

And yes, G - your 12 hour jaunt is just a trip to the grocery store. Past experience tells me that (w/o little road surprises :( ) It's gonna be about 34-36 hours with the engine running. And about two, sleepy-nite-nite stops along the way.

One of these days I may actually keep on going to reach the "other" beach, but Beez tells me that things are pretty weird out your way!

:confused1

Mike in NJ (not for long) :patriot:

Damn straight they're weird here...I mean, they put up with me living here, they have to be weird!

But I'll tell you man, we have some great mall parking lots to go wheelin' in!

GSequoia said:
Damn straight they're weird here...I mean, they put up with me living here, they have to be weird!

Didnt you hear? on the October 7th election there is going to be a measure which if passes will allow us to force you to move out to Alaska

There's alot of diversity of stuff out there. There are trees that grow in the wash areas, lots of scrubby stuff, but you'll find yourself driving in alot of sandy washes, up rock shelves and alot of gritty smooth sandstone:cool:

It is way awesome if you like the desert and red rock. I agree there is alot of diversity if you do the right trails. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Back