• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do i remove rear bumper end caps on 96 XJ?

commonpawn

NAXJA Forum User
Hello!

I am in the progress of prepping my 96 XJ Country for spraying the fenders, door trim and bumpers black.

So i want to take off the rear bumper end caps to get better access to completely paint the rear bumper and rear fender. However, i managed to take off the two bolts in the bottom, but have no clue what else to do to remove the end cap completely.

I found some threads and guides for removing the end caps for later models, where they seem to be able to slide off. However, it seems to be different for the 96 model. I am very interested in hearing from other people who managed or know how to take the end caps off in a way so you can put them back on again! Most people on forums seem to be recommending simply pulling off the whole thing and never putting it on again, lol.

Here are some pictures of my process so far:

vMYq-QKb_-aSAEk9BbEixYEryFbRl5Ss7GQqJsDTWsR6=w1268-h951-no

Two bolts removed after some struggle and PB Blaster

GhnwQc_ksGoPAoXnZYd1AjCLP0CMji7NoKjEolvoR9TG=w1268-h951-no

o2yaz29eHTqbNttrD0yVhzXuCsfpeAUciagiOmEBetqp=w1268-h951-no

What it looks like inside. I assume i need to get myself an extender to reach the top bolt. The round thing (sorry, i am completely new to working on cars) seems to be moving when i pull in the end cap. But i have no clue what it is and how to work with it - is it a kind of screw?

Last edited:
It's a push nut
You can try working it off, or cut the metal push nut and replace it.

Don't cut the plastic nub it seats on

To remove it saving the push nut, use a couple small screwdrivers to pry the tabs back.

Once it's off, put it back into a little.flatter shape than it is in the picture with a ball ballpein hammer

I believe the other bolt holds the skirt on that fills the gap between the body and bumper. Then again its been years since ive had a stock bumper. If the end caps wont come off after removing the push nut, you might try removing that other nut

Back