• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noob here- 1998 Jeep Cherokee lift options

Estevo

NAXJA Forum User
Hello guys, I'm new here and I'm going to guess this is one of the most frequently asked questions in the history of this forum but here it goes.

I recently purchased a 1998 XJ, 2x4 and I"m looking to get a lift kit. Because of budget, I am looking at a Skyjacker 3" lift or a 3" Rough Country kit.

Which is the one y'all recommend and why?

I'd love to read your opinions. please.:wave:

The problem with any budget lift kit is they don't replace your old worn out parts, just lift the jeep and give the worn stuff more room to play.

With either kit, are they replacing your leaf springs or adding a leaf to them?

Hello guys, I'm new here and I'm going to guess this is one of the most frequently asked questions in the history of this forum but here it goes.

I recently purchased a 1998 XJ, 2x4 and I"m looking to get a lift kit. Because of budget, I am looking at a Skyjacker 3" lift or a 3" Rough Country kit.

Which is the one y'all recommend and why?

I'd love to read your opinions. please.:wave:

If you are looking at buying Skyjacker you are not on much of a budget! Much cheaper options out there.

Listen to Cal and make sure you get a lift with full coils and leaf packs at the very least. If you want the clearance and are just pavement pounding this thing then look into OME lifts.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, the kits I'm looking at come with new spring leaves not just adding a leaf. Both kits are on Amazon for 300-345

Thanks for the tip on the OME lifts.

If you are looking at buying Skyjacker you are not on much of a budget! Much cheaper options out there.

Listen to Cal and make sure you get a lift with full coils and leaf packs at the very least. If you want the clearance and are just pavement pounding this thing then look into OME lifts.

I'm not sure what this means. Is it suggesting that Skyjacker or RC lifts are better off road than OME?

I'm not sure what this means. Is it suggesting that Skyjacker or RC lifts are better off road than OME?

OME just makes springs/coils and shocks, and are among the more expensive options out there. If you do light wheeling and want maximum on-road comfort, OME is the way to go. If the rig sees more dirt than pavement, it makes sense to save the cash and go with a more complete lift.

OME just makes springs/coils and shocks, and are among the more expensive options out there. If you do light wheeling and want maximum on-road comfort, OME is the way to go. If the rig sees more dirt than pavement, it makes sense to save the cash and go with a more complete lift.

So your saying that OME are light weeling parts...?
:roflmao: Say that to my Jeep.. 5" long arm up front RE coils everything else custom, 4.6 stroker, rear is OME HD 3" leaf pack with OME overload AAL with 1.75 shackle.. Nice and squishy.. Beats the hell out of RE leaf packs in ride comfort and flex. The only down side is their advantage. I can't load the back as much or carry to big of people. It plays hard enough and its still my DD. Never a problem getting my OME leafs dirty off the pavement..

Wore out my RE 4" leafs within 2 years. Going on 6 with OME. Only lost 1/4" since new.

If money was not option and just want the best then call up National Spring. $500+ later and you have leafs that will outlast the chassis.

:roflmao: Say that to my Jeep.. 5" long arm up front RE coils everything else custom, 4.6 stroker, rear is OME HD 3" leaf pack with OME overload AAL with 1.75 shackle..

Wow, you people are coming out of the woodwork. I did not say nor imply that OME is only suitable for light wheeling. What I did say and imply is that if your rig is mostly a daily driven rig, i.e. you are a light wheeler, then spend the money on OME and piecing together the rest of your lift. If it only sees dirt and ride comfort is not that important to you, save the cash and by a more complete lift.

Last edited:
:roflmao: Say that to my Jeep.. 5" long arm up front RE coils everything else custom, 4.6 stroker, rear is OME HD 3" leaf pack with OME overload AAL with 1.75 shackle.. Nice and squishy.. Beats the hell out of RE leaf packs in ride comfort and flex. The only down side is their advantage. I can't load the back as much or carry to big of people. It plays hard enough and its still my DD. Never a problem getting my OME leafs dirty off the pavement..

So you had to buy the heaviest duty leaf, ad an add-a-leaf to it, and you can't carry a load or people.

That sounds like light duty to me... which would classify light wheeling.

S

If money was not option and just want the best then call up National Spring. $500+ later and you have leafs that will outlast the chassis.

you won't be calling National any time soon. they closed their shop a couple weeks ago. and IIRC a full pack from them was about 700$.

Seems Deaver springs is the way to go these days.

So you had to buy the heaviest duty leaf, ad an add-a-leaf to it, and you can't carry a load or people.

That sounds like light duty to me... which would classify light wheeling.

Followed you out at Truck heaven 2- 3 years ago when you blew your hub doing a recovery, field stripped it and had it back together in about 20 min.

Leaf pack and shackle gave me 3+".. Added AAL for added inch to level with front 5.5 springs and long arm. It helped with load carrying. I just can't carry 4x 220lb guys full of tools and recovery crap, tire on roof rack (now gone), cooler full of beer bla bla bla.. Now I cut that down to 2x people with rest o crap and same amount of beer and have not had any suspension problems. Light wheeling, yea nowadays. Can't afford to break my DD.

you won't be calling National any time soon. they closed their shop a couple weeks ago. and IIRC a full pack from them was about 700$.

Seems Deaver springs is the way to go these days.

Deaver was the other shop I was trying to remember thanks. Yea $500 was close to it some 8 years ago last time I called them up.. Damn time flies..

wasn't so much doing a recovery as much as showing off.

front dig + 44 + 37's + stroker.

that was a pretty impressive hour though, watching becca webster drive right off of that cliff, realize her mistake and full throttle commit to trying to ride it out.

great weekend of wheeling. but i do consider truckhaven light wheeling ;)

md2:
Deavers probably twice to 3x as much but will last foreverish. I love my OME, on road awesome, off road really flexy, washboard roads all solid axle suck.

Cal:
Was a fun weekend. That buggy was mind blowing on what it was attempting much less completing. SO the big pipe stack at the entrance was too easy?

2c025725475a3acc3feccc44b5953fbe.jpg

298cfd1503181234396463f96574ba6c.jpg

Back