• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cranking but no spark

xjdestroyer

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys hopefully I can get some help.

I have a 1986 cherokee with a 94 zj motor. It had a 92 before this one. I'm currently not getting spark. It cranks and cranks but does spark. New coil cap rotor wires plugs distributor and cps. Still no spark.

Is it still the renix computer/sensors? have you actually tested the CPS with a multimeter? they've been known to come DOA.
Have you tested the coil/ignition with a multi meter?

CPS Testing

LUNGHD said:
Test#1 - Get a volt/ohm meter and set it to read 0 - 500 ohms. Unplug the cps and measure across the CPS connector's A & B leads. Your meter should show a CPS resistance of between 125 - 275 ohms. If it's out of that range by much; replace it. (* - Note: HO engines are measured from the B & C connectors and should have near zero ohms.)

Test#2 - You'll need a friend to help ya with this one.
Set your volt/ohm meter to read 0 - 5 AC volts or the closest AC Volts scale your meter has to this range. Measure across the CPS leads for voltage generated as your friend cranks the engine. (The engine can't fire up without the CPS connected but watch for moving parts just the same!) The meter should show .5 - .8 VAC when cranking. (That's between 1/2 and 1 volt AC.) If it's below .5vac, replace it.
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Basic_Sensors_Diagnostics.htm

Last edited:
So I had to swap fly wheels for Mr torque convertor to bolt up so I use the one out of my old motor which ran before throwing a rod

That should be fine, you need the fly wheel that corresponds with your computer system or the CPS will read wrong.

I had same problem. My YJ had been running fine for long time. Then my turn signal switch went out and i replaced it ( which was a real bear ). I also replaced the fuel filter. When done would not start:flamemad: What finally fixed it was i unplugged, cleaned and plugged back in, the ignition module connectors.

Hopes this helps someone.

Back