• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd tire size question, please help

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
So I own a 1995 XJ that I am lifting and heavily modifying, build sheet to come soon. I recently picked up a 1997 XJ with 110k miles 4WD, with a busted transmission for $800.00. I bought a JY trans this morning, took it home and flushed it really well and got it installed in the XJ and it runs great. It desperately need tires and I was wondering if I could go with 205/75-15's? I know OEM is 215/75-15. Is 10mm going to make any difference? I found a local tire shop going out of business and can get 5 for really cheap. Thanks for the advice

A 205 is 10mm narrower than a 215. It's 7.5mm shorter from rim to tread. So, you'll turn a few more RPMs for the same ground speed. For street driving, you should be fun. Do bear in mind that the load rating for the smaller tire will be a bit less, so don't overload it.

David Bricker / SYR

Back